United IT melt down.. The saga continues...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tommy777, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Remember that weekend that United's IT system had a major melt down a few weeks ago? Flights got canceled and delayed etc.

Well, what you might not know is that the chaos didn't end there. On the 20th of June I booked a couple of tickets using vouchers and immediately after, I received the normal receipts, followed by another receipt for a "close in ticketing fee" of 75USD for the bookings. First of all, one of the bookings were later in the year, one was for that following weekend. I'm 1K and are exempt anyways.

I immediately called 1K desk and they told me they had numerous calls about this and before patching me to UA Bangalore (websupport). Both 1K and websupport assured me that it was an error that many had received and I would not be charged.

Well, guess what. I went through my credit card statement today and I got charged after all.

Nice!

RichardInSF likes this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm not surprised. Let us know how you make out getting it credited back!

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA Insider posted a while back that these charges would be credited off.

Has it credited since your statement was issued?

4. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine that there will be many things that fall through the cracks. This is not the first and certainly won't be the last.

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I discovered it today, it was charged on June 20th, it was not credited as of today. I sent an email to 1K voice, I'll keep y'all posted

Cheers

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as you can document the date you called Bangalore (or whomever) and requested/were promised the credit, file a dispute with your CC company. This can often be done on the credit card company's web site, but you have to be able to answer to "yes" to the question have you tried to obtain the credit from the merchant, which you have. You will also have to summarize in very succinct language to fit on their screen why the disputed charge doesn't apply to you, so practice that before calling or logging on. Anyway, if you do this it will do two things: (1) assure you are not charged, usually with an immediate temporary credit while they investigate to make it final, and (2) result in the credit card company contacting United and saying what-the-heck's-the-problem -- a bureaucratic hassle for UA, which, from your post, seems richly deserved.

Speaking of Bangalore (or someplace like that), I kept getting transferred across Asia when I tried to get refunded my $50 add-on high-priority-tech-support fee with a new Dell computer, because Dell wouldn't honor the service priority when I called for support. So I wanted my $50 back. Transfer, transfer, transfer, like 8 times, so I hung up, filed a protest with Discover Card, and prevailed. Simple as that.

(P.S. - If you are disputing only part of the sum that was charged to your CC, and admit that another part is legit, you might find it easier to do the dispute via telephone with the CC company rather than their on-line form. On the Dell dispute I described, there was no easy way on-line to dispute the tech fee without disputing the whole charge for my new p.c., but the Discover phone agent was able to do that for me.)

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the times when I have had to call united.com tech support (ie. issues 1K reservations was not able to handle) I have found the people answering united.com, who do have pretty strong accents and I believe are in India, to be both very competent and to have a lot of power to fix and override things. I am pretty sure that 1Ks get routed to an elite team at united.com. You might try calling them one more time, they may be able to fix it promptly.