United Island Hopper: HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by hulagrrl210, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    IS it still possible? And on what airlines? Can it be booked for points?

2. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is also something that's been on my to-do list for a long time. Thanks for posting the report. Even though it's quite old, this was the first time I saw it being the thread was brought back to life. Only problem for me is UA miles now earn much less percentage wise when crediting to OZ which I'd do, but I'd take the trip more for the experience than for the miles. I've already done UA between GUM and NGO, so probably would do the GUM-MNL as the final leg, being I've not experienced that route yet.

I'd be interested to hear from others who have booked / flown this recently as to best way to book it.

3. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried the following using UA's site doing a Multiple Destinations: LAX-MAJ, MAJ-MNL.
    It came back with the following:
    LAX-SFO-HNL-GUM-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-ROR-MNL for $1,729.

Not cheap, but it does add ROR into there, another island I've not yet been to. I noticed it books into H and E classes, meaning I'll earn 100% miles.

Add onto that I'd be starting in NRT and do NRT-ICN-LAX on OZ at the beginning, and MNL-ICN-NRT on OZ at the end, and the total is a 15-segment trip, all with stops of less than 24 hours.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  4. loungebuddy

loungebuddy Active Member

Status Points:
    Man I've always wanted to do this trip! Thanks for the post!

5. 197travelstamps

197travelstamps New Member

Status Points:
    Cool report, thanks for sharing. I did the trip as part of a cheap fare from New York to Manila and made a round the world in 8 days with stops in New York, Honolulu, Palau and Manila. You can check out my report at 197travelstamps.com - trying to visit every coutnry in the world

6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing the island hopper in a few days. Fortunately I used miles for the trip as the price was ridiculous for the amount of flying involved. I originally booked coach and then decided I'm too old to fly in the back for that long, so I changed to first. looking forward to getting some nice pictures during take offs and landings.

iolaire, Dublin_rfk and kellio like this.
  7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to your trip report. I keep trying to make it either on points or $$ tying it in with a work trip. I actually had it booked as part of PHL-SFO-HNL-NRT trip and it fell through.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We recently flew AS KOA-SAN and had a poor navy guy that spent 36 hours getting back from the Philippines, not even on the full hopper. (He actually thought he was lucky as he was transferred early back to SAN where his family with small children are located.) His route was Philippines->Tokyo->HNL->KOA->SAN. I really find it hard to believe that a more direct route was not about the same price.

9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way back when four engines ruled. I did a couple of SFO-ANC-NRT-HGK-MNL runs.
    PS: I occasionally wake up in a cold sweat.

iolaire likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really enjoyed the island hopper. The views were beautiful and there were some nice treats at each stop along the way to purchase. It was kind of funny as I may have been the only person who did not change seats. Some people were in three or four different seats along the way. The Oranges in Kosrae are amazing and the spicy peppers in a jar are quite good. I was told to buy the peppers in Pohnpei, but they were sold out when I arrived. I spent a couple of nights in Guam after the trip and probably could have passed on that experience, but the island hopper was a lot of fun. The first leg would not be pleasant in coach but after that the legs are quite short and should be no problem. I was glad I decided on first, for the sake of my back. If I ever did it again, which is not that likely, I would probably spend a couple of nights in Pohnpei.

misman and iolaire like this.