United Is Making Tech Changes to Boost Wi-Fi Speeds on Many Planes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by misman, Nov 17, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    https://skift.com/2017/11/17/united-is-making-tech-changes-to-boost-wi-fi-speeds-on-many-planes/
    I've never used Wi-Fi on a UA flight, but I have had some success streaming on other carriers. Seems to me that Wi-Fi on a plane would be quite problematic.

satman40 and Steve GadFly like this.
  2. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    satman40 and misman like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use it almost every long flight,

For email not a problem, but something that requires a lot of downloading, it would be slow.

We often set up our own server and select from out own movies, music, or other things we have downloaded, a friend of our uses it with his motor home also,

Airplane travel has came a long way from where it use to be, and to be honest even the local cable internet has it’s share of problems..

Low orbiting satellites solve many problems with communications, amazing what a repeater can do.

You can tell I came from the tube days, before transistors...

8MiHi likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doing IP/internet at a decent speed it a technical challenege. Remember, Boeing got out of it after spending 1BigOne. Why ? It's nature of the beast.

misman likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once the dual Ku satellites are there, and the Antenna is below the body of the aircraft,

When I grew up Television had just started, and was only on a few hours a day, today with satellite we have 100s if Chanel’s 24 hours a day,

Today every 2 degrees or 500 miles apart in space we have a satellite setting there, and that is not counting the low orbiting satellite less Thant 18,000 miles out in space.

It is a crazy world, I wrote a paper in the 6th grade about geo orbiting satellites and the teacher commented I had quite an imagination, at the time I was talking about using it as a GOS, not a method of communication, back then we had party lines, not private, and pay phones...

In another 75 years, hard to guess what the norm will be like..today we can set in Gilbert AZ and Control the satellites, at least some of them.

6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish UA adds WiFi technology for their narrowbody planes to/from Hawaii.

8MiHi and misman like this.