UNITED INTERLINE BAGGAGE WITH HAWAII AIRLINE

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jessia2001, Jan 5, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. jessia2001

jessia2001 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, I really appreciate your help here. I am traveling from New York to Hilo on 2/9/16, and here is my itinerary:

(separate tickets, separate confirmation)

1) UA ticket: EWR - HNL, arrive 3:30pm

2) UA issued award ticket operated by HA: HNL - HILO, leave at 5pm

I am under an impression that baggage can be interlined, but learnt yesterday there is a change in policy in March 2015!! If i have to re-check my bag at HNL, I don't think 1.5 hour is enough for me to do that given the lines etc..

Can someone please share your knowledge if you have done this after march 2015? HA is not star alliance, and my reservation are on separate ticket. i am only hoping UA can help me given they ticketed both tickets.

Thank you very much!!

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The change was for airlines on other ticket stock if I remember correctly. Since you have a UA award that is an HA flight, if you bring the receipt with the 016 ticket number for the award to the airport, the ticketing agent should be able to check your bag all the way to ITO.

3. jessia2001

jessia2001 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for confirming! This is great news. appreciate the reply.

4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had mixed experiences. I've had EWR UA
    and HA HNL/OGG agents refuse to interline bags under -any- circumstances if they're on 2 tickets. This has happened more often than
    not in 2015. And then there are other agents who will let it slide. After missing 2 flights since March because of this, I hope for the best but build in plenty of connection time for shannanigans.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    When dealing with UA my suggestion (and my personal policy) is hope for the best and make plans for the worst.

Weatherboy likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This one is tricky..I do have a lot of experience flying from KOA to the mainland, so I will impart my experience.

If you are a premier then then you should be good to go on the outbound even though you are on separate tickets. As for the inbound, if you are starting your travel on Hawaiian, then you will end up paying their baggage fee, but they will interline your bags over to United.

7. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just another experience at EWR... agent said they'd interline UA to HA on separate tickets as a courtesy to GS/1K members only.

8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's pretty much the policy for all airlines that they have an interline agreement with.