United Installing New Baggage Sizers - Cracking Down on Carry-Ons

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Nov 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now rolling out with no word here from UA Insider is UA's new enforcement of carry-on size limits. I've read that they are showing up at DEN, LAX and CLE. Not sure about other locations.

Sounds like they are giving the GAs the power to make you pay to check anything that doesn't fit into the sizers, even though they are known to fit just fine in the overheads.

Is Smisek trying to run off ALL of UAs customers and start over from scratch? Mine aren't technically legal, but my hanging bag fits perfectly into anything from an E190 up. My laptop case gives me trouble in F/J, but that's just because of the electronic junk stuffed under the awkward seat braces. It fits fine in E, even on RJs. Does UA management really lack the ability to see the steam coming out of our ears already?

I think I may just quit flying.

2. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometime a Airline will do what they( think ) is best for them and wait to see what we have to say!!:mad:

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The important part...

4. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A crackdown from Jeff Jong Un I can actually support. It's about time airlines started cracking down on ridiculously-sized (and often, very heavy) carry-ons that hog the overhead space, slow down boarding, and pose a safety hazard.

5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    are you sure they are actually going to charge people? They let you gate check for free. In fact, they encourage it.

-David

TimeZoneCST and adrianors like this.
  6. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United is in an $800 million financial hole (relative to Delta's Q3 performance)...of course a charge is coming. :rolleyes:

adrianors and MX like this.
  7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not too fond of UA anything myself these days, but I'm not going to speculate about charges I don't know about.

They've used the sizers on and off over the years. Sometimes they have sizer crackdowns at the gate, but I don't ever recall seeing them charge people to gate check their bags. If anything it's a customer friendly move, unless you think your status entitles you to ...

-David

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or play by the rules. Either one works.

9. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only problem I have with the sizers is that some oddly-sized but legal carryons may not fit into them (on FlyerTalk someone gave the example of a 12" x 12" x 12" cube; a hatbox might be another good example). I hope the gate agents use some common sense when evaluating such items, as the rules don't actually require a legal-sized carryon item to be a specific shape.

flyforawg and 8MiHi like this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! I just love watching my fellow passengers bring onboard huge oversized duffels and "roller bags" that absolutely need to be checked baggage (maybe they're too large to be checked w/o a surcharge)! :rolleyes:
    It all reminds me of flying out of San Juan in the '80's and '90's with passengers stuffing television sets into the overhead compartment! Yes - please use that carry-on baggage sizer!

http://screen.yahoo.com/airport-090000094.html

JoeCortez, DBHarvey, milchap and 2 others like this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in the camp of preparing for some great rationalizing of the carry-on process. With overhead space always overstuffed on high load factor flights, travelers need to be more thoughtful about what they bring before the airline is forced to make changes we don't like. I bring a smaller case when I don't need the maximum, keep it legal when I do and check when I have to. That said, I can sometimes sympathize with the occasional business traveler who has to push the envelope a bit, but using the sizer may give us all a good reason to work out a better personal carry-on process.

12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I kind of welcome this change. On my IAH-LGA flight yesterday they gate checked ~10 bags (that I could see). After most people had boarded the FA went down the aisle and closed the overhead bins. She reached one where a suitcase was about five or six inches over the lip of the bin. She called for the owner (the bag was over row 8) and she came up from around row 25. They ended up taking up two spaces to fit her bag in sideways. :rolleyes:

Also, I consistently see business people bringing what amounts to two rollaboard bags on a plane. Of course they don't fit under the seat in front of them so they've effectively forced one person to check their bag if they run out of bin space.

I travel with a rollaboard and a backpack. The backpack goes under the seat in front of me and the rollaboard above. If I have a coat, my rollaboard is thin enough that I can fit a coat on top of it. Sometimes I check my rollaboard. In those cases I sometimes put my backpack in the overhead bin but if space is needed, it comes out of the overhead and goes under the seat in front of me.

Part of it is bag size and part of it is people thinking they deserve to have their double-wide suitcase in the overhead or that the "one item under the seat in front of them" policy doesn't apply.

13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understand why UA is doing this both as a safety measure and a revenue grab. Having said that, checked bags have a tendency to be lost, as in the time my mom's printer I was bringing for Christmas made a nice trip to India.:rolleyes:

snod08 and 8MiHi like this.
  14. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    They actually don't if you look at the stats. I was (irrationally) worried about my checked bag when I went to PVG last week but it showed up at every stop and the priority tag worked in every case except one (late 744 on HKG-SFO). Our individual experiences are simply not wide enough to determine any sort of meaningful trend. Sure, it sucks when it happens to you, but it really doesn't happen that often. Unless you're Black Cloud.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  15. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm OK with the airlines watching the carry-ons more closely.

I believe the carry-on issues started heating up when the airlines started charging for checked luggage.

Unfortunately, it appears that some people take advantage of the carry-on limits, thereby making travel more difficult for others. I cannot believe what some people try to bring on board!

16. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair point Sir. :)

17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a change I like. I'm tired of people not playing by the rules. Lack of overhead bin space is the main reason why I continue to board early with my group, even though I'd rather be in the lounge for 20 more minutes. This will hopefully encourage people to make smart choices about what to check, what to bring, and reduce the situation where all the bins are full by the middle of Group 5.

18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the Wandering Aramean quits flying in the overhead bin space, there would be more room for all of our carry-on bags! ;)

19. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dude! you should have told me...i could have got it back for you (or simply kept in India:))

20. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally like this move.
    The sheer weight of the "carry-ons" people bring aboard are incredible. Most of the pax are even unable to lift these carry-ons and place it in the overhead. These heavy bags are simply a security hazard for other passengers.

vickers and Newscience like this.
  21. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly...UA also aggressively sells "premier access" with the particular benefit of boarding early and getting overhead space.....

KenInEscazu likes this.
  22. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is still mostly true. It's groups 4 and 5 who will experience a questionable availability of overhead space.

snod08 likes this.
  23. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is about time that sanity returns to the carry on world.

Sean Colahan, DBHarvey and Newscience like this.
  24. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! I invariably help a fellow passenger to lift their (heavy/large/overstuffed) carry-on into the overhead bin on most of the domestic flights that I'm on. :eek:

snod08 likes this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK. I think it's time to repost what I put on TOBB a couple of days ago:

This thread is getting on my last nerve. I have a Tumi hanging bag (I bought it on eBay, just so you'll know who I am), and it fits into anything from an E190 up with no problem. Technically, it is too large. In the real world, it fits just fine, and I always place my CPAP on top of it to minimize the amount of space I use in the overhead.

My laptop case is thick because I need everything that is in it if I'm going to be able to do business when I arrive, and I can't risk UA running over it with a forklift, as they have done with my checked baggage more than once. Technically, IT is too big, too. In the real world, it fits nicely under the seat in front of me on any plane where I am not seated in F. They have stuffed so much junk under the seats in F, and oddly divided the space to the point that it is a real challenge to get it to fit. Somehow, I almost always manage to do it.

I'm almost always in F or J because I either pay for it, use the upgrades that I have earned by flying far too often, or received a CPU. Unless a late connection causes me to be tight on time, I always get to the gate early, put everything away and get into my seat in less than 30 seconds, and there is still plenty of room for everyone else around me to put their stuff up above.

By getting to the gate early, I watch some economy passengers stop, put their carry-ons into the F bins, then continue to their seats. I watch people put their rollers in horizontally when they would fit vertically. I watch FAs who usually ignore this behavior instead of correcting it when it occurs, so that by the time the last passengers board, ten minutes or more are wasted tying to find places to put their bags, which is usually accomplished by rearranging things into the position in which they should have been loaded in the first place.

I live abroad, so I carry my three checked bags with me, which are a major pain, but allow me the comforts of "home" when I get home. I spend enough to meet the 1K PQDs, even though I won't be required to do so because of where I live. I spend a lot of money flying, and I choose to give it to UA so that I can enjoy a few basic requirements of my lifestyle, and I don't abuse the privileges.

If this attack on customers continues, I'm going to start paying someone to set up a means for me to communicate via Skype with my 88 year old father who has Alzheimer's and can't do it himself. I'll start setting up customer meetings online instead of going to visit them personally. I'll send those customers gift cards to have a nice meal out since I won't be there to treat them to one, and I'll just pay someone to ship me the food and clothes I want, or I'll pay the higher prices, or I'll do without them.

Flying is not easy. It's tiring. It's wearing on the body. It takes me away from my office. It's expensive.

All that said, I love the actual flying experience once all this stuff is taken care of. I like to see my Dad. I like to see my daughter. I like to see my friends back in Texas. I like to visit personally with my larger customers. There are limits, however, to my tolerance of the unnecessary abuse required to get there.

The security measures required to keep flying safe for us has made travel hard enough. If UA and other airlines keep adding to the pile of inconveniences and costs, I'm going to reach the end of my rope and just say, "I'm done."

Why don't they just charge what they need to charge and leave us the hell alone?

I'm thrilled for those of you who can travel light, but I can't. I have to have my computer, clothes and CPAP when I arrive. The airlines would certainly destroy the computer and CPAP if checked, and experience tells me that I would far too often have no clothes if I didn't take them aboard with me. They lose and/or destroy enough of the stuff I already have to check. I'm not giving up the basics. </rant>

vickers, dildooba44 and UA191 like this.