United Gold status, but short on qualifying $ spent.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ntidwell, Dec 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ntidwell

ntidwell Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I've been a MileagePlus member for several years and currently serving on duty abroad in central Asia. This year I managed to get more than 50,000 miles! I also have 14 qualifying flight segments. However, only have about $3,796 qualifying dollars... I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could qualify for Gold status..

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Nathan

8MiHi, Counsellor and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're currently on duty in Central Asia, I would suggest updating your address to reflect where you are actually living right now if it is a military base. United waives the PQD requirement for customers who do not live in the United States.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that apply to APO/FPO addresses, too?

The $25k spend on a CC is another option but unlikely to happen this late in the year.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep it sure does per the UA T&Cs.

ntidwell, 8MiHi and Counsellor like this.
  5. ntidwell

ntidwell Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the helpful suggestions. Even though I'm posted overseas, we don't have APO/FPO privileges over here. and I'm not really in a position to spend $25K on a credit card this year...
    Sincerely,
    Nathan

6. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may want to buy more tickets to achieve gold.

webdes03 likes this.
  7. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be my suggestion.
    Write to MP from your duty post and tell them that you are an active service soldier on duty in central Asia. However, you do not have an APO address, but have traveled 50k miles on UA in the past calendar year but did not meet the annual spend. Is it possible to still qualify for the overseas exemption?
    Post the letter from your base and hope that the frank shows site of posting.
    I suspect that UA will be more than happy to grant this request for a serviceman stationed overseas.

What will be the harm? All they could do is say no....in which case you lost nothing more than postage. :(
    But something tells me that will not be the outcome;)

Dublin_rfk, Counsellor, ella and 2 others like this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, in case you're not a soldier but are serving overseas with a typical domestic mail Embassy address ("<number> <capital city> Street" with a city/state pair in DC or Virgina) write to Mileage Plus anyway and explain the situation. They should cut you some slack, since you are in fact living overseas.