United Gold - Companion Upgrade Question (so confusing!)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Jennie25, Mar 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Jennie25

Jennie25 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    I will be flying with my fiancée at the end of March on a Saturday morning from BOS - IAD.
    I have United Gold and I booked him on the same confirmation/reservation.
    He is a normal member.
    I listed both of our MP #s on the check in, but it seems it is borrowing from my benefits as he got to sit closer to the front without any fees.
    What would be the best way to check-in to better our chances of upgrade?
    I do not mind if only one of us will get the upgrade. However, I would prefer that we both would.
    I have read so many threads and I am confused as to how to best approach this. As far as when to check in, auto-checkin, speaking to agents at the desk?
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also we paid for the flight under his cc if that makes any difference.

dstober likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

I'll try to be concise as possible and I know others will chime in here soon. :)

Since you have United Premier Gold status you're able to upgrade a companion however there is a caveat to this.

For both of you to be upgraded together on the same reservation the available upgrade inventory at the time has to be 2 or more or else the system will skip your reservation to the next Premier Gold member.

These are your options at this time...

1. Keep the Reservation as is until Online Check In then Split the Reservation if not Upgraded by then.
    2. Split the Reservation now and then add Companion at Airport and hope for the best.

dstober and gregm like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

If you want to increase the odds of 2 upgrades then stay on the same PNR. To increase the odds of 1 upgrade split it in advance. It also looks like the plane you're on has either 8 or 12 F seats so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for any upgrades at all.

As for access to E+ at the time of booking, that's a benefit of being on the same PNR as you with your Gold Premier status.

dstober likes this.
  4. Jennie25

Jennie25 New Member

Status Points:
    If I split the reservation now, is it possible to add my companion before the airport?
    Will he disappear from the waitlist for upgrades right when the split occurs?

Is it possible to add him to the airport waiting list prior to arrival, as in could I call the airport check-in desk 24 hours out?

There are 20 F seats on my flight, with 13 being still open.

Thank you so much for your help, I have been sifting through pages and pages of these explanations and found them confusing.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you split the reservation now you won't be able to add him to the Airport Upgrade Standby list until check-in at the Airport or in theory 23:59 hours prior to flight departure time if you're already at the airport. However keep in mind that United is still processing Upgrades independently of the Airport Standby List up to Gate control.

6. Jennie25

Jennie25 New Member

Status Points:
    Can you explain that statement a little further,
    "United is still processing Upgrades independently of the Airport Standby List up to Gate control"
    Will it clear a silver member off this other independent list, before it upgrades my gold companion off the airport standby list?

Thank you for the clarification!

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it would because the Airport Upgrade Standby List is processed by the Gate Agent at the Gate.

The system will continue to process Upgrades for all Premier Elites inside the 23:59 window as long as UG inventory is there.