United give First Class Meal in hostage situation.,

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by satman40, May 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "The flight attendant said, 'There's not anything we can get you,' so I said, 'Well, how about we wait for her to have a meltdown, and start crying and she tries to scratch, and then

This is how you get a Hot Meal on United, and maybe a lie flat seat..

They have take out food at the airport, but Pizza does not deliver at 35,000 feet, yet...

Mapsmith and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They demanded to be sold a first class meal (something the FA's aren't set up to do), threatened disruption (including that their child would start scratching people), pilot had them removed from the flight, and now they're suing United. As satman40 pointed out, they could have simply planned ahead and brought food on board with them.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Counsellor, Sammich, Mapsmith and 2 others like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The story that I read is that the girl did have a packaged lunch brought on the plane by her mother, but would not eat it. However, the response by the FA was appropriate. The response by the Mother, not so much. And I think that the Pilot did what was appropriate.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the response by UA to rebook this family onto DL was not appropriate. What if there's a meltdown and scratching on the next DL flight? Should DL passengers be subjected to howling from a fifteen year old child?

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a link to a story that goes along with this? :confused:

6. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to see fellow frequent flyers who know that this mother's demand was not as simple as it seems. What if everyone up from had taken their meal and none were left? First class food doesn't have a price tag attached to it. How many of us have picked up food and taken it on a flight because we were in coach? I've done it more times than I can count. So she's picky? Then grab two different things at the airport and bring them both. But you don't get to tell a flight attendant your child may attack and not think there will be a reaction to that.

Sammich, Mapsmith and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Mapsmith likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then they don't deserve to be called reporters.

9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Mapsmith likes this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately there's a lot of that going around lately.

Newscience and Mapsmith like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know. Sad.

12. why is this news

Mapsmith likes this.
  13. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what it looks life, because the mother is going to every news outlet in the universe to make it news.

Don't get my wrong, I feel a lot of empathy for those who have to deal with difficult life situations, but like I said, it's not as simple as she makes it out to be. We've all circled the world more than a few times and have learned how to prepare for difficult circumstances. When you are traveling with a child, challenged or not, you must be prepared. People with disabilities travel all the time with no trouble. There is no difference in this and traveling with a cranky three-year old. You have to do everything you can to give them what they need, not rely on others to do it for you.

Mapsmith and Counsellor like this.
  14. How is she a hostage

15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    United was the one held hostage by the mum's comments...
    "Well, how about we wait for her to have a meltdown, and start crying and she tries to scratch, and then"

16. I read it again
    Simple answer You pay for First Class. I am sure FA's cannot even give you a first class meal even if they wanted to. I am sure its against the rules. So I agree with the previous comment saying that. Crazy Mum

Mapsmith likes this.
  17. and does having Autism mean you are entitled and that is coming from a boy with
    Asperger syndrome.

18. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know anything about the laws in the USA, but I wouldn't be surprised if this woman is opening up herself to some serious problems. For sure diverting the aircraft caused UA to lose a lot of money. And for all the passengers who were delayed, missed flights, etc. What if UA and these others try to sue her over causing the plane to be diverted due to her threatening remarks. Someone should tell this woman she needs to learn when to keep her mouth shut. Not trying to say anything about her daughter or show any lack of sympathy for her condition. Simply saying the mother doesn't seem real bright in knowing how to handle things.

Counsellor likes this.
  19. I have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndromeand whilst not as difficult to cope with as Autism. I must say I know its tough dealing with kids that have autism. But I say this If you want a first class meal you fly first class its not hard to understand that. I have flown economy premium and biz. I have flown biz and paid for that upgrade. If you want a hot meal I would say you ring and say that at time of booking it not hard its simple. I think its very important for parents to show kids good morals and good manners.

Gargoyle and Counsellor like this.
  20. Will she be able to fly with United Again?

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  21. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Gargoyle. A modicum of forethought could have helped here.

Apparently the mother knew of the potential problem, but didn't bother to clue in the airline in advance. With advance planning, the parents might have been able to bring a meal on board and have the airline prepared to microwave it for them, or the airline might even have something they could have loaded had they known about it before. Once you're at 27,000 feet, it's a bit late; no convenient drive-throughs at that location.

It's all well and good to say airlines should make accommodations for handicapped passengers, but the passenger should help the airline help them.

IDGflygirl and Gargoyle like this.
  22. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. This story is local to me, so I'm hearing a lot about it. In one piece, she said she thought they would have hot food for sale on the plane. What made her think that? And did she walk up to the gate agent before boarding and ask? I've certainly asked about meals a few times when the flight was just at the line of time/distance for meal service or after 8pm. Times that I've flown with family and children, it becomes even more important. I think last time my bff and her (at the time) 4 year old daughter flew across county, we probably had 8 different snacks between the two of us. Some crackers, goldfish, etc, plus drinks.

This makes me think of years and years ago when I had a bad delay and missed my chance at food during a layover. I was so hungry. I just nicely asked the FA for some extra pretzels and he ended up digging up some packs of crackers that were left from a previous, longer flight. I was so happy, but knew that I could possibly have had 2 hour flight with no food since I missed my chance at layover.

Counsellor and Gargoyle like this.
  23. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    @ Jenn: Anyone who likes Porsches and cats may be presumed to have good judgment in other matters as well.

JennB likes this.
  24. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope not.

25. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a very significant difference. A three year old throwing a tantrum is incapable of inflicting any serious harm on a healthy adult. A 15 year old throwing a tantrum could really hurt someone. So I'll be the "evil anti-disability rights meanie" and state that if this autistic teenager is prone to violent tantrums when she can't have her way and if she's that terribly picky about what she eats, she shouldn't be flying on a commercial flight where food of any kind (let alone hot!) is never guaranteed. Hell, I've been on flights with prolonged severe turbulence where meal service was suspended for safety's sake and no one got any food apart from what they were carrying in their carryon. What would Mom have done in that situation, threaten the thunderstorm with violence?

The "won't eat cold food" thing is an issue that should be resolved before any further air travel with this kid is planned, because sometimes cold food is the only thing you can get. And if it can't be resolved, than the kid shouldn't be doing any long-distance flights, for her own safety as well as the safety of everyone else on the plane. That sucks, but that's why we call autism a disability: unfortunately it can limit what the person can safely do.