United flyer finds dozens of passengers' info online

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Dec 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Culina says by using the confirmation code and traveler's last name, she could have changed the passenger's seating assignments or even canceled a flight."

Uhh, that has been a feature of the regular UA website (an CO as well, based on what I see on the homepage) for a long time. It's definitely not a good idea to dispose of boarding passes in places like seat pockets where others can find them and then make changes to the itinerary.

But of course UA/CO should not show other people's travel data.

hulagrrl210, jupper, TAHKUCT and 2 others like this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Random thought: always wondered why some people are so non-chalant about their paper BPs.

Further: I travel many routes that require Customs forms to be filled out. If I had nefarious intentions, I could easily get the zip/postal code written off some declarations forms and use the info off the BP they leave behind and have a ball with their reservations.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. I can understand why they offer the ability to change things online with just the PNR and the last name. But I think if the reservation has an online-enabled MP account listed, they should require log-in... or at least give me the option to set up my own account that way.

mailbroad, jupper and hulagrrl210 like this.