United Flight 96 EWR-TXL circling EWR due to engine problem

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by downhillcrasher, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYBanker likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder why they didn't dump at sea or even overland at altitude.

Down one engine shouldn't be an issue for a 757 landing.

I hope all ends safely.

downhillcrasher likes this.
  3. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    I thought that fuel dumping equipment was an option on the 757. Perhaps CO never ordered it.

Edit: according to boeing fuel jettison equipment was not available on the 757.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Article indicates

"The engine was operating properly and the plane was burning fuel before landing, according to the FAA."

5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they're almost home.

[​IMG]

ACMM likes this.
  6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Liveatc.net archived recordings of this flight should be fun. Glad everyone is safe.

-RM

downhillcrasher and ACMM like this.
  7. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This never would have happened if UA operated a 747 on every TATL flight. I can't believe they send 752s across the Atlantic!

;) :p

rggale, skyvan, Ygor and 7 others like this.
  8. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    You're right, if they only flew 747s TATL, they would never fly to TXL!

Ygor and HeathrowGuy like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no fuel dump option.

The issue is with weight. The plane will take off heavier than the max landing weight on a trip as long as this. They have to burn off enough so that the plane can land without destroying the landing gear.

10. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention that if there was fear of fire in the engine they'd probably try to burn from the opposite side tank and transfer fuel over (in case they lost the engine).

I'd love to hear from the 757 pilot on TOBB.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that we know no one was hurt, I have to comment on what seems to be the bizarre way UA displays the flight status of incidents like this on their web pages. If you call up Flight 96, it asks you which of two legs you are interested in, the EWR to EWR leg, or the EWR to TXL leg. And when you choose the latter, it says the flight (with a different aircraft serial number than the EWR-EWR leg) will run 5 hours, 10 minutes late on departure because of "Aircraft Servicing." All this is technically true of course, and I know from checking earlier incidents that this is the way UA does it. It just seems a rather bizarre way of trying to fit a serious incident ('square peg') into the 'round holes' of their computer flight-status system.

But the pax and the crew are safe, and let's not forget that.

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answer to this, so I will ask. Is a 744 less likely to have a tire-debris engine fire on takeoff than a 752?

13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, marginally more likely by virtue of having more engines that can be potentially affected by debris intake. No USA-registered commercial transport is going to cross the ocean with passengers having lost an engine on takeoff/climb.

But both aircraft are far safer in this regard than the Concorde :eek:

BuckleandBoots and kansaskeith like this.
  14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Years back - when CO (now UA) flew 747's from EWR-LHR or FRA, a few times they had to shutdown one of the enignes TATL - oil leak or something like that. I was on one once. They just keep flying to the destination (no diversion) to Iceland or anything like that. Just that the plane slowed down - and it took maybe an extra 45 minutes to reach LGW.

kansaskeith likes this.
  15. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems the plane landed with both engines operating properly. Eyewitness reports from take off were flames shooting out of the engine and popping sounds.

16. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I guess my question would be if tonight's incident, flames, popping sounds and a blown tire, had happened on a 4-engine airliner (at takeoff, not an oil leak midflight or the like), whether the crew would have just shut down the engine and continued thousands of miles over water to Berlin. I would hope not, but I don't know.

There was one case of a DL airliner (two engines) which had dual-engine shutdown out of LAX and the pilot even gave a "get ready to crash" notification, but then they got the engines started again and went ahead to complete the flight all the way to CVG. The pax, who had been told to prepare to crash, were not really happy about that one, if I recall. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...delta-spokesman-bill-berry-unidentified-pilot

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder how many miles passengers will earn for circling?

Ygor, Flyer1976, MX and 2 others like this.
  18. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is likely what the takeoff looked like (bird strike)

Ygor, downhillcrasher and desamo like this.
  19. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ingestion of FOD can cause a compressor stall, otherwise known as a 'surge'. This would be accompanied by a loud bang, visible flames out of the back of the engine and serious vibration. The situation can resolve itself, but in most cases the prudent choice will be to land as soon as practicable.

Here, it is likely that the engine resumed operating normally at some point, so there was no need to conduct an overweight landing and stress the airframe/landing gear. A few laps over North Jersey gets the airplane down to more manageable landing weight and avoids the prospect of a broken 757 when it's all said and done.

20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the uninitiated, 'FOD' is what? (I assume the 'D' is debris, but do not know. Thanks. I tried the MilePoint glossary, but it came up with "Fort Dodge, Iowa.")

21. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Foreign Object Debris, basically any loose object (like chunks of a blown tire) that can be ingested into an engine and cause all sorts of damage.

kansaskeith likes this.
  22. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my situation on a CO 747 - we were half way across the Atlantic. But no diversion to a closer airport, we continued to our final destination to LGW. I guess they could have diverted to somewhere in Iceland or Ireland - but this was an engine purposely shutdown - not a damaged engine.

23. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you imagine if you were listening to ch 9 during this? The only thing scarier would be if they shut it off after the engine strike.

24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you heard Suily's recording? He seemed unflappable.

rggale likes this.
  25. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would find it extremely comforting to be able to listen to Channel 9 and understand what's going on before the pilots have a chance to brief the pax - which I imagine would come after the situation is under control.