United Flight 201

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by T5campbell, Sep 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks you United on giving us one of your old 777-200 jets for a flight from IAH to HNL. That is all we need is an 8 hour direct flight with the only inflight entertainment is on our own devices. I am so thankful I can get Direct TV from DFW to IAH for a 45 minute flight, but no such thing for an 8 hour flight. Will we at least have outlets to charge our devices?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

viguera likes this.
  3. andyroo31

andyroo31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the world of the Hawaiian configuration on the 777-200. Grab a couple of portable chargers if you can, they definitely saved me on the long 777 flights with no power

HiIslands likes this.
  4. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can recommend some good authors if you want to buy a book ;)

viguera, rggale, bmg42000 and 2 others like this.
  5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sad really. I support the movement of BYOD, but there needs to be power supplied if that's what you want people to use. Put a simple 2.1A USB in the seat back or arm rest and the problem is solved; not to mention that compared to screens and everything the weight is practically nothing.

Those Airbii with wifi and streaming and no power have the same problem as the HI configured 777s. After a 6 hour transcon burning wifi, there's no juice left in a phone or tablet. I booked HNL-IAD recently, but it's showing as a 764 (both when I booked it and now); so at least that'll have lie flat and power/IFE. I had considered using miles to upgrade, but the difference between the discounted coach fare and a P fare was less than the copay to use miles for upgrade.

genemk2, Flyer1976 and Garp74 like this.
  6. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 777 is older than I am. This is the reason why I have flown Delta and American the other three times this year to Hawaii. Last time flying United IAH to HNL.

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were born after 1994?!? :eek:

rggale and ssullivan like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which types are you flying on DL/AA? AA's 767s are not likely to be much newer than UA's 777s flying to Hawaii.

rggale likes this.
  9. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    @ Wandering. The DL/AA 767's might be slightly newer but the ones I have been on were at least updated. The seats in first were better, had some type of entertainment along with electrical outlets. For the flights I have flown to Hawaii this year. The best was DL, then AA, and United comes in last.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you like the interior config better that's fine. Just don't blame it on aircraft age. There are plenty of new ones which are not so great inside and plenty of older ones which are retrofit recently.

DL and AA don't have wide-bodies specific to the Islands; United does. That makes a big difference in certain markets in terms of what you'll get when you choose a carrier and a route. And, to be fair, the current UA "islands" config is an upgrade over the old version. Even if it isn't perfect by a long stretch.

andyroo31 and ssullivan like this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread is a great representation of a first world problem. People complaining about the aircraft type on which they are being flown to Hawaii! :D

andyroo31, estnet, rggale and 2 others like this.
  12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well Hello from a First, Second, Third, and Fourth world person! Don't worry UAL is going to renumber the IAH - HNL flight (But keep the aircraft!!) I booked an outbound that uses IAH / HNL / GUM and I get the same 777 15Hrs 59 Minutes (scheduled) with a 61 minute layover. I guess I had better look closer in the future!

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I was headed to Guam, I'd route via Tokyo for the better onboard experience. :eek:

14. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would too, but this is a mileage run and the first customer is in TYO.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case I would fly IAH-ORD-PVG-GUM-NRT with the new GUM/PVG service starting this month. :p

16. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next Time.

But back to the thread, 8 hrs wifi only (on what should be a gross plus revenue route) and UAL's change is to renumber the FLT?

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What are you talking about with renumbering the flight? That has nothing to do with the amenities offered. :confused:

As for the revenues on the flight, if they're making a lot of money without spending the extra cash to offer flat beds or AVOD then why should they change?

18. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    The renumbering has nothing to do with the amenities, it has to do with slight of hand and misdirection. UAL has (apparently) made a decision that customers will ignore the down grade in service because of their destination. Should they change? Well for me a little uniformity would be nice but I won't hold my breath!

I don't always fly, but when I do I prefer Dos Equis.

19. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Downgrade? The IAH-HNL run has been with this bird for years, hardly a recent downgrade.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Huh??

The uniformity is that the domestic fleet will have some form of IFE, usually streaming on a BYOD scenario, while the international fleet will have in-seat IFE. That's been communicated by the company via various channels for more than a year now.

21. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is the norm for this route no wonder it priced out lower and availably higher. This is not my usual routing. I have been spoiled by the EWR / HNL seating.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't everyone nowadays have a small battery pack? I think I paid $30 for my 9600 mAh pack that's only slight larger than my cellphone and can charge two devices at the same time. Take responsibility for your own needs, people., instead of whining. Out here in the Namib desert I don't always find a power plug either.

23. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get that sentiment...but these days, with all the gadgets...bags get heavy and toting around extra battery packs, while necessary, shouldn't be. I don't think it's too much to expect in-flight power these days.

24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get it, too, but they keep making the size of permissible carry-ons smaller, and I already have too much absolutely necessary stuff to carry. It's not about the money. It's about having to carry one more thing.

Sure am glad I don't have to go to Hawaii any time soon. ;)

25. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or buy a SurfacePro3 ...mine stayed alive during the IAH-HNL flight long enough to watch House of Cards on their on-demand system :)

ssullivan likes this.