United Enhances Award Bookings

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chitownflyer, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    United now allows a mixture of saver and standard award bookings as well as a multi city option, but this enhancement makes a bungle out of finding simple information on the award site.

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53694,00.html

Saver and standard awards show up in the same search. Try to make a non-stop search still yields search results with connections and flights are not listed chronologically either. Most importantly, the ability to search for a Standard award flight and check NC or NF inventory via hovering over the flight now requires one to click on the flight details link in order to view these. I would like to hear whether others are satisfied or dissatisfied with the new online award booking changes.

2. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazing... I was just wondering what happened to this!

3. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't really looked but i prefer to use EF to check for NC/NF anyway

Jeff

4. Where2next?
    Original Member

Where2next? Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like some positives, but i mourn the new mileage premium for my favorite AT routings between US and Asia...

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I must be missing something, what new mileage premiums are those? I booked an F award yesterday US-Bali with Bangkok stopover (4 TG F segments, 2 LH F segments) and they even priced it at 135k! Of course US-Bali is 145k via the Pacific. Crossing Europe (Europe-Asia is more expensive region) should cause it to price higher still but I haven't seen UA actually do that in about 3 years.

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are two separate issues here. United has in fact made improvements to its routing rules under award travel. These changes are summarized here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...jaw-exceed-maximum-mileage-b.1977/#post-28483

My issue is that United has made an absolute mess of searching for awards on the United.com web site. Perhaps we can alter the title of this thread to add: United enhances award bookings and makes a mess of its online award bookings. It will price out an ABQ-PVG C award when only domestic F is available and Y for the SFO-PVG flight. In the short term, the work around to this is to use the international United sites such as United Uk site and United Canada sites for award searches, as they still have the old saver & standard award option available.