United Employees get a look at the 787

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sean, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Boeing, it looks like UA/CO employees got an early look at the 787.

Here's the accompanying article:
    http://www.boeing.com/Features/2011/02/bca_787_meet_02_08_11.html

"We banked our future on the aircraft," said Ron Baur, vice president of Fleet Management. "We're big believers of the 787, flying long-length markets. One of the first routes we'll fly is Houston to Auckland and to me this is the poster child for that route."

I'll be very excited to take the Houston-Auckland route in the future! Glad to see their still committed to it!

HiIslands, Renard and bez7 like this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 787 also visited DEN a few weeks ago.. I don't believe the UA employees got to look inside, but I would guess they saw it land and take-off.

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When the IAH-AKL route was first announced, someone wrote about the potential ETOPS problems on the route...that basically, at the initial ETOPS certification level for the 787, it would have to fly hundreds of additional miles to stay ETOPS compliant for the flight path. Has anyone else heard of this and have more info?

4. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought B:)eing was fairly confident that they would have early ETOPS at the required level at the time of launch.

5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ETOPS issue depends on what level the aircraft is certified at from delivery. CO currently operates its 777s conditionally under ETOPS-207 to allow optimal routings on certain polar flights. For IAH-AKL, the airplane will need at least ETOPS-240 and preferably ETOPS-330 to take the best possible Great Circle course.

6. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bigger problem sadly is getting the first 787's out of the door into commercial flight (bear in mind poor ANA has been waiting patiently and buying more 767's in the meantime, and other airlines getting "Very disappointed" with Boeing.

With deliveries pushed back to Q3 now, the combined CO/UA will be waiting for some time for their birds....

7. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sigh...it's such a beautiful bird, and it's so hard to have to keep waiting for it!

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am dreaming of the day we get to fly the 787, but will United then try and enhance the onboard amenities as well?

9. This is right. It will have to fly out of the way, but remember not every flight flies the GCR. Winds, weather, etc. play a part.

10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is ETOPS-240, so a little out of the way but not the end of the world:

[​IMG]

11. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know this was possible. From my understanding, the max ETOPS for a twin-engine aircraft is ETOPS-180, with the exception of ETOPS-207 granted for North Pacific routes to Asia. Otherwise, anything over -180 had to be flown by an aircraft with more than two engines...so right now, I thought only 747, A340/380 were granted ETOPS-240.

Now, I feel like I've read that the 787 wants to get certified at well beyond the ETOPS-180 level, and that some of the new engine technology could eventually allow this to happen, but it seems unlikely that that would be granted initially from the get-go.

So in that case, if you had the -180 restriction, IAH-AKL would require essentially flying due west over Southern California first, adding significant time.

12. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to flying on this one. We were able to go inside at SMD II, and it was a huge thrill to be on a plane that few people have set foot on. I think it's going to rock... as long as the revenue people don't F* it up and put too many seats on the thing. [​IMG]

Renard likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "revenue people" as in shareholders ? ;)

14. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, not them. I'm thinking SMI/J [​IMG]

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well presumably, he should be representing the shareholders- however I do hope this trend of how many seats can be jammed into a plane in now ending- at least the recent move from DL re: International is a step in the right direction.

16. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can only hope. Let's see if they can find a balance between pure revenue enhancement and quality of service. All one or the other won't cut it, so hopefully they find the right balance that is win-win. It would be a shame to see this plane, with the amazing features it has inside, just become a cattle car.

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean like certain airlines and their A380s?

I agree- this is a great opportunity for UA- let's see if they take it- and customers accept it (i.e. pay for more than cheapest cheapest Y).

18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to the arrival of the 787, just wish they get delivered instead of delay after delay after delay.