United email - saver awards

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mrs. Fredd, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    "You have 1,306,706 award miles—enough for a Saver Award."
    ",,,With as few as 12,500 miles you could be on your way to hundreds of summer destinations"...yada, yada, yada
    Guess they don't personalize these...

Fredd and hulagrrl210 like this.
  2. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's also funny or maybe just ironic when the 1K line rep tries to sell you Award Accelerator miles, as happened again just this morning. All we were doing was checking on a schedule change. Between us we have about 2 million in our accounts so we don't need any just yet, thank you. [​IMG]

3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a good Mileage Plus account balance as well, and I get so irritated by these useless emails telling me I have enough miles for an economy saver award. You don't say?[​IMG] United's revamping of the website makes ticket purchases very unpleasant with all of their upsells. During one ticket pruchase, they attempted to sell me international upgrades both ways, which I rejected. Then it tired to sell me award accelerator. When I tried to decline this option, my web browser crashed, so I called United reservations to have the ticket issued. These upsells should have an Easy OptOut button.[​IMG]

I would be interested in seeing United offer CO's Elite Maximizer option for buying EQMs, as this has the potential to be useful.

4. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    With regards to the emails, it takes extra time, money, and possibility for things to go wrong to have to add in the logic that says for the Fredds with multi-million mileage balances that "Congratulations, you have enough miles for a Round the World award!" There are certainly people who don't bother checking their mileage balances and on top of that, don't know what the mileage requirements are for the various awards. Savvy frequent fliers should be encouraging as many 12,500 mile one-way redemptions as possible because a) they take the mileage liability off the books for UA resulting in a hopefully more profitable company that can afford perks for elites and to stay in business and b) they reduce the odds of that member taking premium cabin partner award availability that savvy fliers like to redeem for.

With regards to the upsells, again, those upsells subsidize cheaper airfares and elite perks. I totally agree that I wish I could have a profile option that says I permanently decline Award Accelerator, but again, that costs time, money, and complexity on UA's part, so I'm fine with just declining it myself.

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wish Mileage Plus and United would email me when they have a good Mileage Plus bonus RDM- EQM promo or an international deal premium fare offer. The stuff they send now is mainly junk that clutters my InBox almost weekly. With regards to the upsells, I get the feeling there is United wants to sell anything to try and make a buck, but this succeeds in cheapening its image.

6. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually think the emails are good.I'm sure there are quite a few people who have the CC and just don't know that they have a bunch of miles available. Good example is my father. He has a AA CC and he didn't even know he had over 150K miles on the account...

Skyvillager likes this.
  7. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Jason, the monthly email of a mileage summary gives serves as a reminder. I just got another useless email from United that takes the cake. I already booked and upgraded a ticket to F with a CR1. So what does the email state?

Hi Chitown,

We look forward to seeing you onboard when you travel to xxxxx. We just wanted to remind you that you can use your award miles today for a Mileage Plus® Upgrade Award and move up to United First®.

As an elite member you are eligible for complimentary Unlimited Domestic Upgrades, however, you can move to the front of the line by requesting a Mileage Plus Upgrade Award when you book your flight.

Comfort is calling. Request your upgrade today, and move to the front of the line.

So I can upgrade my upgraded itinerary? Maybe its time to relegate my United emails to junk status.

8. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those are worthless emails for sure.

Skyvillager and chitownflyer like this.
  9. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now, that I just might consider!