United elites to get Trusted Traveler program

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DCA1K, Dec 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this has been posted anywhere:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/12/tsa-to-expand-faster-security-check-program.html

"The number of passengers using PreCheck is expected to grow quickly because TSA Administrator John Pistole announced last week that first-class and other “elite” passengers on United and Continental airlines will be allowed to participate in the program next year.

United and Continental are set to merge by March to create the nation’s largest airline."

2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    About d@mn time!

From NYC likes this.
  3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it’s about time they expanded beyond the tests of Delta and AA people at certain cities. But it still won’t matter to me until they bring it to NYC-area airports, and the article doesn’t list it among the cities that'll be getting it. :(

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the lack of airports is as much a problem with this program as the lack of airlines whose passengers can use it.

5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Is the guy in the picture of that article participating in the trial or they just forgot to remove his shoes for this picture :)

7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the fast check thing UA is paying for to get you through US immigrations (forgot the name of this program)? I guess you do a background check with them and UA pays for the membership (starting sometime next year) and then I don't have to stand in line everytime coming through US immigrations

8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are 2 separate programs, but it is somewhat related to Global Entry, the program UA will cover the application cost for starting with the 2012 program year if you’re 1K. They’re run by the same agency. Global Entry and NEXUS cover immigration when coming into the country from abroad; this is for faster clearance through TSA security checkpoints on your way to your plane’s gate.

AZjohn likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must be referring to Global Entry. I was invited by US CBP, 3-4 years ago, to participate in the pilot study that had just been initiated at the time. I went to JFK for an interview and a brief background check and that was it. It is truly a time-saver when returning from an overseas trip; you just use one of the kiosks that have now been installed in nearly all the major intl airports in the US. Some travel-related companies, such as AMEX Business Platinum, have been offering to pay for the application fee for their customers...

Get it, it is definitely worth it.

chrislacey, AZjohn and From NYC like this.
  10. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crap... I moved from LA to DC two weeks ago and now they are going to expand this program to LAX soon.

Hopefully, one of the DC area airports are next on the list :D

AZjohn likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding was that anyone approved for GE was automatically eligible for the TSA pilot program, in addition to the folks invited in to it directly by the airlines. But I might have that wrong.

TAHKUCT and AZjohn like this.
  12. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I went into their station at EWR B terminal a week ago to request a GE card, I registered for the program in the early days when they didn’t have that yet, there was a gent just there for his interview and fingerprinting. The folks behind the desk mentioned that the card might be used for TSA clearance once that program came into fuller fruition, but they didn’t know yet. I think the fact that a space was put for a Trusted Traveler ID is an indication of an easier acceptance, but don’t know if it‘s automatic. The folks in the office, not necessarily the experts on this, said the rules and program were still being devised.

13. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Global Entry was the program I was thinking about. I can't wait to apply for it when UA gives me the go-ahead. And would be nice if these two programs were somehow interlinked, thus only have to do one background check for both. Makes sense to me, but we are talking about the government aren't we...:D

14. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a frequent traveler, I look forward to (someday) being able to take advantage of this "PreCheck" program...but from a security perspective, why does being a frequent traveler make you any less of a risk than someone who doesn't travel very often? If a person who flies once a year and a person who flies twice a week both want to submit to the required background checks, why would they be viewed as a different security threat? I don't understand why TSA would limit this to just frequent fliers. A person who is a security risk is a risk regardless of whether they fly one time or 100 times a year.

15. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think initially it is only open to frequent flyers, but will eventually be open to anyone. IIRC, Nexus was only open to frequent flyers until they worked the bugs out and then opened it up to everyone. It makes sense to have a 'closed beta' test of a program like this until you know it works out.

16. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am looking forward to try it out in my area SFO,SJC and OAK.

17. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think most of the rationale is the cost and effort required to approve someone. During the beginning stages it makes sense that they would deploy it to people who will get the most benefit so they can get an idea about how it functions. Just like you would rather give a beta product to someone who is going to use it on a regular basis and report to you what is wrong with it than someone who will use it once and provide no feedback.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware that there is now a membership card for Global Entry, for which one's passport and fingerprints have seemed like great proof of membership so far... If there is a membership card, it is not yet mandatory or I would have received a request to get one.

19. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reports from AA elites using the DFW TT checkpoint are very good, which makes me even more excited for this to roll into ORD.

DCA1K, TAHKUCT, JLSocks and 1 other person like this.
  20. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Now, if it would only be rolled out to airports I've actually been flying through! ORD, anyone???

FriendlySkies likes this.
  21. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I checked out the Global Entry web site today and indeed these two programs are linked. But what was stated in the TSA Pre check was it is only by invite by AA and DL (as above posts stated) and nothing about UA yet. Also, it said if you already applied and cleared GE that is all you needed for TSA Pre (with the above airlines nomination I guess).
    Wish UA would give the OK for paying for GE soon so I can enjoy, but maybe they are waiting for this TSA Pre program to get cleared for their airline before they roll out both benefits at the same time???
    John

22. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, can't wait. Finally an "enhancement" that actually means something!

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a participating AMEX card, you do not need to wait for UA to get on the ball:

"Global Entry is a U.S. government program.The benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® members only. To receive a $100 statement credit, Card member must complete the Global Entry application and pay for the fee with a valid Consumer and Business Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card. If an Account has Additional Cards, the Cards are eligible for $100 per Card.If approved, membership into the Global Entry program is valid for 5 years without additional charges and subject to the program's terms and conditions. The $100 application fee must be paid regardless of a decision by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and is required to process the application. Membership is per person, and a separate application must be completed for each individual. Individuals under 14 years of age are not eligible for this program. Please allow 6-8 weeks after the qualifying Global Entry transaction is charged to your Card account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the account. Card members can call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 8 weeks from the date of purchase. Card members are responsible for payment of all charges until the statement credit(s) posts to the account. To be eligible for this benefit, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment."

24. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do we suppose this will be 1K only?:(

25. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was also my understanding.