UNITED elite inflight manifest question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RRK, Mar 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    The old UNITED used a star symbol system for their elites on their inflight manifests. Premier members had one * , Premier Executive had two **, and so on. I believe Million Milers received four **** at the former Mileage Plus program. FA were able to see who had the highest elite level and often used the manifest for meal priority selections. In the good old times, FA used the star symbol system and actually thanked me being a 1K member.

For the past 3 years, I have avoided flying UNITED. I think performance and service got better and I am willing to try them out again. Since I am a Million Miler, I kept my elite status with UNITED.

My question, is there a new elite inflight manifest system in place after CO and UA merged.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is a system by which top elites are supposed to get first choice of meals. Doesn't always work but the system is there.

IDGflygirl, 8MiHi and Dublin_rfk like this.
  3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Million milers didn't get 4, Global Services did. 1Ks were 3 (and full fares for a while), Prem Exec 2 (which included million miler if they hadn't earned higher status), Premiers 1.

ContinentalFan and 8MiHi like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my flight to HNL from EWR two weeks ago I saw the manifest in the galley up front. The levels were spelled out - Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K and GS. They did go to each GS and 1K first to get their orders.
    I did not note any special mark for MM under my name.

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Million milers used to get great recognition on board. The crew would have the information and thank the members for being a million miler. No one on board has this info anymore, which is pretty sad.

6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly a lot, and mostly on really long flights. The crews are mostly good. The experiences are mostly good. But reading this thread, I can't help but think the OP is going to be disappointed when certain perks are not carried out with consistency.

Experiences are going to vary flight to flight. I, for example, have never been asked my meal choice before anyone else. Ever. Before I was 1K and then GS, I saw them do it. But once I made top tier status, it hasn't happened to me even once.

The other week @MrsGarp sat next to me on an award ticket and inherited my status - so the manifest informed the crew she was GS. Not only did she not get her first meal choice, but the FA actually forgot to give her a meal. When I finally asked what was up - why he fed everyone else but not her - he admitted he had forgotten her. And as far as he knew, she was GS.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just terrible customer service and I hope that the FA made up for it onboard otherwise this behavior should be reported to corporate otherwise the airline won't know that their employees aren't performing up to task.

ContinentalFan likes this.
  8. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was 1k last year and there were a few flights where the FA asked for preferences ahead of others. Most of the time though they just took orders from front to back. Sometimes I received my first choice, sometimes not. So far this year as Gold, I've not been upgraded.

Garp74 likes this.
  9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How sure are you that she took GS status, I learned this weekend that what is printed on the boarding pass is different then what the UA computer system says. My boarding pass showed I was a 1K, but when I went to board at group one it told me I wasn't supposed to be boarding and boarding group 2 (credit card).

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup...the inherited status thing is either already dead or dying very soon.

That's not an excuse for completely forgetting about a passenger and not serving them a meal at all, but the status thing doesn't really carry over so much any more.

11. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on which final report is run, either sUA or sCO, will offer different information, on the print out. I understand that the preferred final to run is the sUA one.

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It amazes me that we're years past the merger date and there's still so much sUA or sCO stuff that hasn't been streamlined yet.

DL/NW got that straightened out pretty quickly when you compare to UA/CO.

13. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience its about 25% of the time that they take meal preference by status. Its fun to watch the FA's leapfrog around the cabin and watch the faces of other passengers not knowing whats going on..

ContinentalFan, ella and 8MiHi like this.
  14. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the grand scale of merger things, a final report is nothing. One comes from the old Unimatic sUA side and the other is from Shares. Depending on what you are use to using depends on which report you want. I believe AERO does the former sUA report since it contains more info.

HeathrowGuy, Garp74 and IDGflygirl like this.
  15. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since we're on the topic, does anyone want to explain to me why United (and everyone else, I assume) uses dot matrix printers in 2015?? This is either the greatest or worst technological fact ever.

ContinentalFan and 8MiHi like this.
  16. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guys in Austin said it's because they never break/fail.

sfogate, 8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  17. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's also partially because of alignment/formatting issues, at least that's why they use them in the industry I'm in.

8MiHi likes this.
  18. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a table........... It's 2015.

8MiHi likes this.
  19. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should come hang out in the places I hang out during the week. It's still 1988 on a good day.

ContinentalFan and Garp74 like this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell Dukakis not to get in the tank.

Garp74 and Hartmann like this.
  21. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That made me laugh out loud. And also reminds me of my favorite joke of that election: "Beware of Greeks wearing lifts."

Dublin_rfk, 8MiHi and Hartmann like this.
  22. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do have new printers but these work and no one is tempted to steal them.:p

23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    wait until you see how long AA / US takes .

Garp74 likes this.
  24. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes they still respect the status level but DON'T hop around the cabin. There have been a number of times when I've seen them go straight through the aisles asking for first and second choices, but when they come to me (1K) I just give them one choice and they go on their way.

25. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Commercial aviation culture despises changing something that isn't "broken" unless there's a cost saving or major efficiency gains to be had.