United elite baggage at international airports

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by drumtech, Nov 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. drumtech

drumtech Active Member

Status Points:
    Brand new to Milepoint! Very informative. Thanks to all for the information. I've been a United Elite Gold for the last 3 years and Platinum for the last year. I recently came back from Mumbai, India and New Delhi. In Mumbai, I had a late flight that came in so I had to clear customs and then spend the night in a hotel, awake the next morning and catch a domestic carrier to my relatives place. Upon landing in Mumbai at the baggage carousel, my bag (which had been tagged Priority) didn't come out till last. On a full 777, that's a crap load of bags. Does the the policy of United BusinessFirst/elite matter when United lands at an international destination? I had to wait about 45min to get my bag while other passengers who have zero status and paid much less for the flight, get all of their bags and head to clog up customs.

Same scenario in New Delhi...checked in as BusinessFirst and Elite. Landed in Newark to be the last again to get bags and get stuck at customs and barely make my connecting flight to Houston. Has anyone else seen this??

Thanks!!

Newscience and marcwint55 like this.
  2. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    See this all the time both domestically and internationally.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome To Milepoint. This happens with many airlines, not just UA.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't supposed to happen but sometimes it does. And it isn't just one airline which has the problem, though I do think some are a bit more diligent than others about it.

tommy777 and dstober like this.
  5. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Wandering Aramean. It happens -- and it rots when it does. Seems like a Murphy's Law corollary. Sorry you added to the sample size. :eek:

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that part of reason that this is seemingly intolerable is that this is one of the perks that elite flyers very much enjoy having, and have grown to expect most of the time!

In my experience, a "worst offender airline" for late bag delivery has been SWA/WN. When arriving at BWI, I've had to wait an hour or more for my checked bags there for more times than I care to remember. :mad:

And SWA doesn't do anything at all "special" for their elite flyer's checked bags. They're all pretty much treated the same, like their airplane seats, where "everyone sits in first class"! ;)

JoeCortez likes this.
  7. drumtech

drumtech Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome!

It's completely unacceptable. Especially for all our loyalty given to an airline, you'd think they'd get this right. Oh well, it'll never change..

8. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it both on domestic and international flights. I suspect, though please don't shoot me down if I'm wrong, that it happens more when baggage is handled by non-United personnel but rather contracted help.