United E+ annual pass/Premier discrepancy

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dennisb, Dec 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Just read the terms of UAL's E + annual pass and note that this is for general MP members, and further on, that and if a member elects the pass option with Premier Fast track the annual pass is cancelled once the member reaches Premier status, implying that the Annual Pass and Premier status cannot be jointly held. However in the new 2012 benefits for Premier members we loose E+ confirmation at time of booking - that starts at Premier Exec level. But holders of the annual pass have this benefit. So as a Premier member I have less benefits than a general member with the E+ Annual Pass interms of ensuring E+ seating at time of booking? Am I reading this right?

2. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if you are reading this right or maybe reading to much into it. I actually had to re-read your post as I kind of got lost myself.
    So, I just assume anyone who buys this annual pass gets access to E+ seats (if available) at booking, period.
    If you are asking if a GM with an annual pass gets priority over Premier MP members for E+ seats at booking (prior to t-24), you bet they do.
    Welcome to our new UA :rolleyes:

Titans26 likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's very interesting. Probably worth a call to UA if you are interested in buying the pass. I'm glad I'm no longer a 2P what with all the downgrades.

AZjohn likes this.
  4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes agree.
    My wife is a 2P and I offered to get her the annual E+ thing. But she was so upset with UA doing this she refused me from buying it :rolleyes:
    I probably will still get it for her, but don't want to get in any trouble until after the holidays :D

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way I interpret the question is: assume a GM buys the annual pass and have access to E+ at booking. Then GM flies enough to reach 2P -- do they lose that E+ at booking benefit, i.e., is 2P effectively a "downgrade" as far as E+ access is concerned even though they PAID for a year? Doesn't make any sense, and I think UA needs to rewrite this.

OP should probably try to reach out to UA Insider as I don't think calling UA will result in an authoritative and correct answer.

AZjohn likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA Insider has already stated that they are looking into offering a discount on the pass to Premier Silver elites so I would bet that they will not revoke the membership from you when you cross from no status to Silver.

7. I did call MP after I posted this question and stumped the agent on this too. After checking with supervisor (?) was told that this quirk in the rules pertains to old program only and after program merger in '12 the part about cancelling the E+ annual pass once Premier status is reached will go away. So bottom line, in new program Premier members ( to be called silver I believe) can have both E+ annual pass and their elite status and that's the only way to get E+ for sure at time of booking at that level.

8. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi HaveMilesWillTravel, you're correct. This does need to be reworded. I don't have an update on if there will be a discounted fee for Silver members to purchase, but, I can confirm that if a general member purhcases the annual pass they will continue to receive the benefit to assign Economy Plus at booking, even after reaching Silver status.

Shannon

Geo and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. Shannon: any issues with a silver member who holds an E+ annual pass being eligble for upgrade when using pass to book an E+ seat at time of booking?

10. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA and DL have been copying each other on many things recently. UA and DL will pretty much have the same benefits for silver soon. I'm assuming you will wait until DL gets Domestic EC up and running before the E+ discount is offered (DL Silver are to get 50% discount).

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the DL discount for all flights at all times while for UA silvers get it free at OLCI?

CDKing likes this.
  12. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    \

I believe the DL discount is at anytime before 24 hours. I would not be surprised if UA offered 50% discount prior to 24 ours which is what DL will be offering for silvers prior to 24 hours. I just don't see any real changes yet until DL Domestic EC is up and running

Intentional EC is currently a 25% discount for DL Silver