United dropping ABE to IAD

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Filler03, Oct 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed when doing a search for a late summer flight from ABE (Allentown) to IAD that United's nonstop flights weren't showing up. I sent an email to ABE's general email and got this response:

"Hello,
    The flight to Washington/Dulles is only continuing until February 13. United has decided to use different connections to their destinations. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you."

I have heard that ABE has increased their landing fees so that probably has something to do with it, but almost everytime I've flown that route it was full, interested that United decided to drop it, and not good for me.

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flight may have been full, but the revenue from those flights (even though they were full) may not have been enough to offset the increase in landing fees.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a shame. I've flown this route a number of times the past few years. Once this kicks in there's only ORD for a "real flight" or the crappy bus service on the uncomfortable "baby bus" they "fly" between EWR and ABE.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    ABE is a expensive airport to fly in and out of in general on the legacy carriers. The flights I've always booked into ABE via IAD have been big bucks, never a cheap deal. -- at least on the legacy carriers.

If the landing fees were too much to bear, I bet Allegiant and Frontier would be out of there.