United- dropping a leg mid flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DrinkingCoffee, Apr 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I have a multi-leg itinerary coming up. One segment has me flying from Colorado Spring to Denver to Phoenix, and I only have 36 minutes between the Colorado Springs and Denver flight (and it looks like the small planes arrive at one side of the terminal and the big planes depart from the other side of the terminal). If I do not make the connection, the next flight to Phoenix is 6 hours later.

Since the drive to Denver from Colorado Springs is only a little over an hour, I am thinking about canceling my COS-DEN leg and just driving to Denver to make sure that I do not miss my Denver to Phoenix flight.

Should I do this as a same day itinerary change? Can I call today and make the change without the $200 change fee since I am just dropping one leg of a trip (online, I can do this but must pay the $200 change fee)? I am a Mileage Plus gold member, but I'm not sure that will mean much.

Thank you for any guidance that you can provide.

B1BomberVB, gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't answer your question about the UA change fee, but I can chime in that the Colorado Springs to Denver with a follow-on connecting flight to Phoenix is incredibly tight at 36 minutes. Especially with flights out of/going to Colorado Springs during the spring months, when strong winds tend to delay flight take-offs and landings (and makes for a fun flight!). And you may also want to consider that although the drive time for the trip from Colorado Springs to Denver is an hour by an internet map or GPS directions, the Denver traffic might stretch that time out quite a bit, considering the time of day that you will be driving.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    IDGflygirl, LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will have to pay the change fee and fare difference at that time.

Nope. It is still a change which requires a fare difference and change fee.

Did you originally book it at the 36 minute connection or was there a schedule change? That might make a big difference in your ability to work this in your favor.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    I did not book this flight, but the original flight had the tight connection. So it looks like I either gamble and hope the connection works or I eat the $200 change fee and drive to Denver (there is no fare different for my specific flight).

Thank you all for your help.

5. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or you can check in 24 hours before and drive to Denver with both boarding passes the day of the flight. Well before the flight takes off in CS. They might just wave the fee the day of.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is a really, really, really bad idea.

tommy777 and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This... :-:

OP... If your flight becomes delayed at any point in the day, UA is willing to work with you.

B1BomberVB and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    Thanks. I do agree that UA will work with me. The problem is that if I miss my connection, the next flight to Phoenix is several hours later, which unfortunately means that I will miss a newly scheduled meeting.

Not an ideal situation any way that I look at it, but even if this works out, I was curious if UA does penalize for canceling one leg of a flight mid-itinerary.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do unless there's IRROPs usually.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you initiate the change you're liable for any fare difference plus change fees associated with the original ticket. If it is a fully flexible ticket and the fare is the same then you'll get the new trip without cost. But that combination is very, very rare.

11. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    Thank you both for your help!

12. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a gamble, and I have done it before with the same cities involved. The Gate Agent changed it in the system.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, you can get lucky with a cooperative GA. That's a much larger risk than I'd want to take, especially downline flights in play on the same ticket.

14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you remember to do so, why not repost here and let us know how your trip worked out? ;)

15. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a US flight that UA could put you on if you miss the connection?

16. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would they do that? US left the herd and is now grazing with AA over at OW now.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

LETTERBOY, Flyer1976 and B1BomberVB like this.
  17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Knowing Hannaman I think it was a tongue in cheek post because now UA has no other alliance options domestically to protect customers on. They will be hesitant in rebooking to OALs.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't they? If the US flight gets you in quicker than the next UA flight, and you have a misconnect, they should do it if requested.

19. DrinkingCoffee

Status Points:
    To update you, I ended up changing my flight the night before. I believe it was supposed to be a $200 change fee, but United did not charge me.

AND, I'm glad I decided to fly out of Denver, because the flight departing from Colorado Springs was 45 minutes late because of mechanical issues, and some people ended up stuck in Denver that evening because the Denver to Phoenix flights were full.