UNITED cxl Asiana award booking

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RRK, May 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked 2 r/t business class award tickets, for early Feb. 27, 2013 through UNITED website ... using 270.000 miles on Asiana from JFK to ICN and on to SYD. On my return, 3 weeks later in mid March 2013 I planned to stay in Korea for 3 days before returning to JFK.

UNITED confirmed deducted my 270 K miles and confirmed a day later ( no idea why it takes that long now :( my award flight reservation ).

Just yesterday, about 2 weeks later I noticed that my reservation under my UNITED 1 K profile
    was no longer showing up. I signed in into my 1 K account , and my Asiana reservation was cancelled without any notice, either from Asiana nor from UNITED.

The deducted miles of 270,000 miles were not re deposited into my UNITED MP account and the
    $ 300 plus charges for taxes etc. were not credited back to my Amex.

Did anybody else had problems recently with UNITED award bookings, especially with Asiana.

I will have to call MP tomorrow and do some research, especially since everything was confirmed per e-mail.

This on going UNITED computer merging problems is just totally un acceptable. I also really don't see any regret, apology from UNITED management. This targeted fly 4 roundtrips with UNITED and earn 25,000 bonus miles is for sure no apology and keeps especially loyal customer still in the uncertain.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might do a search, but iirc, there was a sync issue with that airline in particular.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a thread about this over on TOBB.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There is frequently a problem with United awards on Asiana.

This was an occasional problem with Continental-issued awards, so it's not necessarily an integration issue per se although the frequency with which this is popping up has certainly been a big problem over the past two months.

This was not a problem with United pre-March 3, just with Continental. So something about how their implementation of SHARES talks to Asiana's systems.

What seems to happen is that a reservation gets made, a ticket gets issued, but the ticket doesn't get associated with the reservation in a way that Asiana can see it. Asiana sees a reservation with no ticket and cancels you.

It may take a few agents to be able to see the problem and get help, but usually they will do their best to offer you an alternate routing and if there's nothing available that's close they've been pretty good about opening up space on their own aircraft. Which on a SYD routing could actually work to your advantage, you could wind up flying United direct from the US rather than having to transit Asia ;)

Good luck!

United does know about this problem, by the way...

5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This been reported recently with increased frequency. I find it interesting that United does know about the problem but does nothing about it. How complicated would it be to flag those reservation for a human being to intervene and make sure that the information is transmitted to Asiana correctly? Of course, United might not want to do it as such awards probably cost United too much, and United rather "help" you get a "better" direct flight on United plane (with fraction of the cost).

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    United opening up award inventory on flights where there isn't any is going to be more costly to MileagePlus than getting things right in the first place. I imagine that they (1) don't yet understand the problem and (2) have so many IT challenges right now that this hasn't risen to the top of the queue.

7. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess it all depends whether they can sell the seat or not. It might be that on some routes it is going to cost them real money (lost revenue), while in others it will cost much less (if the seat goes empty anyway). I'm not taking consideration the overhead (manpower) to actually deal with the problem, and have no idea what is the effect of that on the bottom line.

Probably correct. Though I cannot imagine that just flagging those reservation for a human being to intervene, as opposed to a compete IT solution (which frankly, probably has to do a lot with Asiana systems as well), should be that complicated. But I agree, not the highest priority by any mean.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The mileage program is a separate entity from the airline, regardless of the opportunity cost of the seats they're certainly being billed at a higher rate that buying a saver award from a partner, and that captures the incentives of MileagePlus at least in this regard (though MileagePlus is probably captive to their IT capability, and when I say MileagePlus I'm really referring to UAL Loyalty Services Inc).

JohnDeere19 likes this.