United CPU Blocking is Back?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Jul 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a while, upgrades seemed to be getting processed like the old days and if you saw R9/RN9, upgrades would clear at the 96 hour window.

But it seems like Continental United's aggressive revenue management system has kicked in again and upgrades are blocked and not cleared even with R9/RN9 before/after the window.

Lets hope it is just a glitch.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some flights will and some won't, just like always. ;)

Gtitan, genemk2, mht_flyer and 2 others like this.
  3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen a mix too in flights this past month. In a couple of the cases I have been fortunate enough to be able to find an agent who will manually process the upgrade, though most say it is out of their hands and that the system is correctly "working" or don't really know any better.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The agents aren't supposed to be processing CPUs manually so when they say it is out of their hands they aren't lying.

5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a really frustrating system and is not winning United any love from me. I understand holding back some F seats to sell but allowing miles/instrument upgrades while not processing CPUs is really crummy. If R is greater than 0 then shouldn't be there any un-upgraded elites within their upgrade window.

KenInEscazu, Infinite1K and adambadam like this.
  6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How people forget so quickly what the old system with the 500-mile upgrades were like. Back in those days I had a much lower upgrade %age...and now folks act like they are entitled to a free upgrade. :rolleyes:

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, my understanding is that they are actually working towards killing the R inventory inside the CPU window so this is never seen. It won't necessarily be that more upgrades will happen in advance, just that the R inventory won't be open. SO everyone will still be waiting but they won't see something that makes them think the upgrade should be processed. I'm not so sure that's really to our benefit or theirs, but that's supposedly what's happening.

8. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:

So United wants to make the upgrade process even more opaque. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson's brain: Bravo. <clap> <clap>

Don't they realize that flyer would more readily accept a less generous, less opaque system?

Infinite1K and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it becomes any more opaque with the R inventory going to 0 and being doled out to the next person on the waitlist.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not know about CPUs, but I have not had any agent refuse to manually apply an upgrade when I have put down an upgrade instrument (GPU, RPU miles) and R/RN space was > 0. In fact, this has been the most reliable way for me to get upgrades -- I keep scanning the R-space and quickly call 1K desk whenever I am waitlisted and find R/RN>0 to request that an upgrade be manually processed.,,,just did it a couple of days for a HNL-LAX flight in November...

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think people just like to know where they stand. Knowing the inventory situation is also helpful if you have a companion.

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't like the lack of transparency, but at least if the R inventory isn't available, then someone can't jump ahead by calling in and either getting an agent to break the rules or apply an instrument.

However, if there is R inventory and it is inside your upgrade window, shouldn't you get the complimentary upgrade? I have never understood why there could be positive R space inside someone's window, and they don't get the upgrade. Even if EUA is a batch process it was supposed to be kicked off when someone was touching upgrade inventory. Otherwise the system let's people game it.
    Of course we'd like to know where we stand. We haven't known since 3/3 (or on pmCO) and this change does nothing to address that. In fact it's kind of disheartening since they seem to be moving in the opposite direction.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is, as I understand it, the goal.

Because the company wants to let people redeem instruments. Given the choice between different buckets for CPU and instruments or only the batch, I'll take the batch. Something of a false choice tree, I know, as there are more options available, but those are the two we seem to have toda.
    Only inside the OLCI window.

You never knew where you stood on the list before 3.3 either. There was a binary flag set. That's all. You had no idea how many others were also in that same state.

Knowing where you stand is great, I suppose, but none of the things being discussed are changing that. As for the companion bit, I disagree. knowing the numbers - particularly outside anything close to the actual departure time - is mostly just noise.

mht_flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:

I feel like I am entitled to a better chance at a free upgrade. If I lose out to GS and/or other 1Ks who paid a higher fare class than I did, then great, enjoy your upgrade.

But, losing out to people who rarely fly UA in the name of a couple of extra dollars is flat-out bad business.

JLSocks, Sedosi and Infinite1K like this.
  15. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my last few flights I feel that R isn't even being updated properly online so whos really to know. Flew a CR& last weekend, at t-24/checkin shows R1 and FC is booked 4 of 6. I never moved from the first position as a Silver on a L-Fare, there were a few others added to upgrade standby but they were all below me on the list. So it would be safe to assume I was top of the list due to checkin time since we more then likely all tied for Fare Class right? Or was there likely a Silver traveling on say a T Fare and the system just waited for them to checkin and clear?

16. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're entitled to nothing except a safe ride from A to B, preferably on time. Everything else is just gravy.

DCA1K, ella, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  17. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, it wasn't that long ago that these FF boards were about helping each other out finding ways to get UG's. Learning the ends and out's of the systems (regardless of which airline).

We would report on patterns and strategies on UG's to help our chances. Now it seems when someone reports a change in pattern, I see more posts that puts the OP down, or they shouldn't be looking for an UG (either free or with a free instrument). I just don't get it.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think that the advice on how to increase chances remains. It isn't the same advice because the circumstances have changed, but the same concept is there. If you want to sit in the pointy end these days buying it outright still offers the best odds. Supporting the effort with an instrument of some sort offers worse odds but still better than just buying the cheapest fare and hoping it works.

In this case the "ins and outs" are that the company doesn't always upgrade elites, even when the flight is R9 at the CPU sweep window. Understanding that and setting a reasonable level of expectations is, IMO, more useful than speculating about the reasons or paying the UA/CO used to be better than CO/UA game.

Reporting on patterns can be useful, but only with a nice side of salt, knowing that even with all the data we can possible aggregate we're still pretty much in the dark and have no real insight into the RM systems to know what will actually happen.

mht_flyer, NYCUA1K and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:

That's true, but that wasn't the point you made that I replied to.

20. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:

Agreed. And I what I really want to say about it would bring this thread to the UA FT forum level.

AZjohn likes this.
  21. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, it is always better to have transparency and customers understand how the upgrade process operates, so I hope that R inventory is not removed within the CPU window. Before the merger, UA CPUs basically worked so that if there was NF( coach to first) or NC inventory(coach to business), then CPUs cleared so long as inventory would be available. Upgrades were based upon status, time of ticketing, and fare class.

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I just don't understand how setting R=0 and then releasing the seats when they are ready to upgrade people is any more or less transparent than setting R=9 and doing the exact same thing.

This is basically where they are apparently moving in the new system as well. There won't be any R inventory (just like UA could zero out the NF previously) and when they are ready to upgrade people then the inventory will go to whomever is at the top of the waitlist.
    They current order is status, fare class and time added to the waitlist. Not all that much different.

23. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the other thing that use to happen on the old UA.com was that right at the window your upgrade would switch from pending to wait listed. This at least gives some indication the system is working (assuming you didn't clear right away). That is what drives me crazy about the new system and being told I just have to hold my breath for some arbitrary sweep to see if I get lucky.

The other large difference I have noticed coming from PMUA is that they now will upgrade more people in advance. I never remember the old UA doing this to the same level. Since 3/3 I have been upgraded to the last F seat 3 days in advance a few times. Old UA I would say it was rare to not have at least 2-3 open seats in F assuming they were not sold for revenue up until the flight went to gate control. While it is easy to say it is nice to have the security of an upgrade in advance, it really hampers any possibility for paying F passengers to have much flexibility and it totally eliminates the chance for an upgrade if you should standby.

24. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is good to hear that more upgrades are clearing in advance. I do not have any experience with how CO operated their CPUs.

I would like to add that pre merger United left their NF & NC inventory visible on the website, and a 1K or 1P would be upgraded via CPU, if there was inventory available. If a flight was NF3 for the 1P clearing window, then this meant all GS, 1Ks, and 1Ps had cleared their upgrades via CPU. At least, this is what occured in my own personal experience.

25. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not true. Pre-merger UA order was status, fare, time (what you're describing is the AA upgrade priority).The post-merger differences are generally:
    -Y/B/M-ups
    -Better advertisement of upgrade availability and waiver of change fees to upfare (and sometimes cash offers for less than fare difference)
    Other than these new special cases, the ordering itself hasn't changed much (for non-full fare tickets).