United Copay uses

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Dmacneill12, Oct 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

Tags:
  1. Dmacneill12

Dmacneill12 New Member

Status Points:
    All,

I have been looking at the United T&C's and nowhere does it allow United to use the copay in any respect to generate revenue with the use of cash sweeps and other short term investments. Has anyone ever challenged United on the use of this money while they hold it?

Dave

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What makes you think that it is not being used to generate revenue? Once UA has your cash they can do whatever they want with it, subject to the terms of the refund policies.

I'm guessing you're trying to come up with a way to demand interest from UA on the cash held should the upgrade not clear. You have zero standing from which to make that demand. Good luck, I suppose, but that's a futile effort.

3. Dmacneill12

Dmacneill12 New Member

Status Points:
    I believe that they can not use this "revenue" because it is not revenue until they actually provide service. The money is a deposit until they provide service and until such time is a deposit against future services. Just like a deposit for damages on a rental property the deposit is subject to interest when it is returned unused. I know this is mice nuts individually but as a class action for the thousands of people that they have milked maybe it makes some noise.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you are wrong. It is not a deposit in that context. If you buy a ticket and then refund it later you are not due interest on the value even though you never "used" the flight, right??

And I suppose you can find a lawyer to take on the claim. Maybe the same guy who took on the MMer lawsuit and ended up wasting a couple years and plenty of cash with nothing to show for it. But that doesn't mean it is legally in the right.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015