United, Continental begin latest round of fare hikes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AmericanGirl, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that they are doing a pretty good job so far in offsetting these costs. I'm seeing some fares out of IAH double what they were a year ago. :eek: (It's very unclear what part the merger has played in that. However, it does seem that the merger is having a big effect on fares. But I'm no expert)

PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on the presentation from Jeff Smisek yesterday, this would be fare increase attempt number 15, of which 8 have worked so far.

[​IMG]

PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    We are looking at 440USD round trip prices any time ORD/SAN these days (21 days advance purchase required), so a 50%+ increase from last year.

AA is usually at least 100+ USD cheaper

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    So that EXP match will work out well for you?? ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nah, not doing it. But looking sharp for Platinum this year.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    International routes seem to be rising more than domestic, is that correct?

8. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    JFK-Cali is no different $428+ if it can be found.

Thats 1 reason I didnt have UA refund my NRT trip it will hard to get 16k for under $800 and then again i used a CC Pts to get the tkt and wont be able to earn 1/2 the eqms if its refunded with fares as they are. Worse comes to worse I just might make a 1 nighter out of a JFK-KIX instead of NRT

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The YQ is increasing in addition to the fare increases. That is probably part of what you're seeing there.

10. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate that seperate YQ. I'm always miffed that when booking on CO.com when paying it isn't part of the taxes and fees (but of the fare !), but afterwards when looking it up it is. :( It's not a tax and/or fee, it's part of the fare. Small additional YQ's when fuel prices rise would be something I'd be able to wrap my head around...

11. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be frank, I have NO clue why there is a separate line for YQ... Honestly, if I was in charge I would just set a fare minimum rather than complicating the system with YQs... Let's say for US-LHR the YQ is $400, then set the fare minimum to $400, which means if the airline wants to sell the ticket at the lowest possible fare the system will only allow them to go as low as $400 and will require a manager authentication to go below $400.... Simple as that, and over time as the fuel price goes up, the minimum will increase.

This whole fuel surcharge scheme is a huge process clutter and I wonder how many labor hours and $$$ the airlines poured in with the whole YQ scheme... Many times human error causes YQ to not be added into the total fare like the recent DL ARN/CPH mistake fare, a lot of people using trickeries to dump YQ, and some other things which is costing the airlines serious money.

I am clueless about the motive behind YQ and would love for someone to explain to me why there is YQ rather than a more simple process that is less prone to costly mistakes/issues.