United Compensation

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by al613, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that general levels of compensation, when entering skykits have dropped. Last year it used to be $100 ecertificate for GM up to $250 for 1k. This year it's $50 for GM up to $200 for 1k. Did anyone else notice it?

2. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't noticed it, but not overly surprising given the influence of the Continental culture in the new carrier.

3. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it would be up to CO all the numbers would stay the same. They will just become 100 miles instead of $100 :)

4. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I've been expecting a decrease in value/frequency of compensation, this 1K has recently received my first 2 pro-active CS sent emails, each offering a $350 ecert.

Then I received another $350 ecert for a skykit submission (though I think that was an error, 'cause it was for a broken personal video player which typically only nets a $250 ecert)

hulagrrl210 and al613 like this.
  5. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could you share on which flight in which class of service you have received $350 from skykit? I have entered 5 skykits within last month and all of them got $200 (for 2 1k on Transatlantic and Transcontinental flights). Are you GS by any chance?

6. CJN

CJN

Just got compensation tonight- the video and map function on my (and my girlfriend's) business class seat on the 777 was out. We're both 1k's. FA couldn't have been nicer about it. Gave us some playing cards, 1st class amenity kits, and the skykit. Was sort of surprised, however, to see they were only offering $200 bucks. Still, it beats the other options: 9k (non elite qualifying) miles or a 10% e-cert.

KLA and gleff like this.
  7. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sitting on few skykits and trying to figure out if I should go for $200 right now, before it becomes 500 miles :) with CO or there is a way to get at least $250 for them.

8. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go for the $200. A few people on FT mentioned that they tried to redeem skykits for flights during the $250 period, and only got $200..

I've only gotten $350 if I call UA about a major delay (four hour mx delay from MCI). Hopefully it stops at $200!!

al613 likes this.
  9. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems before it was $200 for 1k if its a short flight and for sure $250 if international. Hard to decide, but I think I will go for $200 unless will find a recipe for $250 within next few days.

10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps others got $200 for domestic, but I always got $250 for domestic as a 1K..

11. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received two this year while I was still 1K, and they were both 250. Haven't received one since I dropped down to 1p, so I can't comment on the amount.

why fly likes this.
  12. CJN

CJN

How interesting. I wonder if this is a post-February change, after the old 1k roles were cleared?

13. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    No GS here, just a plain 'ol 1K.

iirc, all were for p.s. flights (purchased low fare coach, upgraded w/CR1s to Biz)

Aside from the cited video issue, 1 pro-active CS generated email/$350 ecert was for a TSA-related diversion (resulting in @1hr delay) and the other pro-active CS generated email/$350 ecert was either for last week's NE storm related cancellation/delay or perhaps a reported broken footrest on that flight (not sure which it was for)

14. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope, you understand, that I'm talking mostly about skykits, since on the phone there is no limit :) Could you share which flights, what problems and what class of service?

15. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK. May be flying C on PS is one exception :) Lets keep working on it.

16. Lucky
    Original Member

Lucky Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OP is correct. Under the old system, 1Ks received $250 as compensation for international, transcon, and Hawaii flights, while they received $200 for other flights. Now it's a flat $200, regardless of the flight length.

Can we really blame 'em?

17. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    One was a broken audio jack on a domestic leg of an intl 777 iad-lax and lax-iad, I was in C. I would have changed seats, but there wasn't one open. The other was on the same flight, different day---the only meal option for lunch was a salad that was covered with nuts---and no one knew what kind they were. (looked to be finely chopped walnuts or pecans.) I told the purser that he should suggest the nuts NOT be added to the plates before they were served, as there are people who can't eat them (but don't become deathly ill from having them nearby). I'm allergic to walnuts and can't eat them, however I can just move the bowl of mixed nut away. In this case, I had to turn back the meal, and they didn't have much to offer in exchange. I don't know why they didn't give me a snack box, but I have a feeling they'd run out. (I was offered a second cookie) I was somewhat surprised there wasn't a lunch choice in C, as domestic F still has one on most flights I've taken.

18. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No blaming really, as long it stays @ $200.

19. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    +1

If it goes down to $150 for 1Ks, then we have a problem..

20. iluv2fly
    Original Member

iluv2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were diverted on ORD-LAS to DEN because of a mechanical problem three weeks ago. Total diversion was only two hours. Was told to go to the appreciation website for compensation. One of my choices was $250, which I selected (am GS). My non-MP member friend was offered $75 or a 20 percent off (no miles option as she isn't a member).

21. Lucky
    Original Member

Lucky Silver Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, it would still be more generous than virtually any other legacy. After the merger I'd be shocked if we see more than $100 for 1Ks unless there's a very serious problem.

goalie likes this.
  22. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was it a paid C? How many hours was the flight? Thanks.

23. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry, I added the route to my answer, but you were too quick! It was iad-lax, and lax-iad. Upgraded using a cr-1 in both cases. Probably a T fare, or S.

edited to add: and now that I think about it, one was late december ---the other early jan.

24. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not only how much. It's also how often. I used to get one certificate almost every single time (I mean it) I would call ICC (web support). I often complained about the length of the time on hold if no other reasons. Most of the time the rep will email me anything between $100-$250. It might take him another 30 min. to get approved by supervisor sometimes. Now ICC says that you have to call CS, since they don't have an option to offer compensation. No other airline will do it, right?

25. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, again C on a PS flight. Thank you for the info.