United.com using large amounts of CPU problem

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ifly153, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United.com has recently been using large amounts of CPU on my computer when searching for flights on .bomb. Depending on the computer I'm using, it takes anywhere from 30%-70% through the Firefox or Internet Explorer flash plugin. This CPU usage significantly slows down my computer which is a PC, though I'm not sure about Macs.

My computer gets better by closing the .bomb window or disabling the flash plugin through Task Manager, which doesn't help if I need to use the .bomb website.

This problem starts happening when I search for flights, use the modify feature, or look at the details of the flight which are simple functions and really shouldn't be taking that much CPU.

I speculate it has something to do with the recent adobe flash 10.2 update, but I'm not really an expert on these things. I also haven't noticed this problem when using other websites which also use flash, like even MilePoint.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Anyone else having similar experiences to me?

2. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blocking Flash outright is likely to stop more than just ads from being displayed. There is a lot of meaningful content out there in Flash too. That said, make sure you have the latest version of the Flash plugin loaded and that your Flash plugin is not infected with a virus.

ifly153 likes this.
  4. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    flashblock allows you to click on any flash to show it. Or you can just filter out specific sites, so the OP could limit it to just united.com.

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true, but I would still offer that the real problem here is with the Flash plugin itself. Something is amiss there and should be resolved instead of the bandaid approach with FlashBlock.

6. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't what the OP asked, but the real problem is flash as a platform. :p

flospi, Mackieman and ifly153 like this.
  7. This is pretty common issue with any SW, let alone in a browser.
    Even Skype has consistently released crappy SW clients in the last year.

Chrome has a new beta that is supposed to be much faster and control these type of sites.

Flash in itself is generally crappy for resources, but until UA and others get HTML5 smarter, we gotta live with it.

8. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lord knows that's the truth. It is one of my least favorite things I deal with.

piqaro likes this.
  9. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do have the latest version and anti-virus installed. This problem only happens to me on united.com, not any other website, so that's why I posted here instead of a tech forum.

This problem doesn't happen on the united.com homepage, but in fact, if I log into my united page and leave it there, it eats CPU just sitting there, along with searching for flights.

10. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is one thing I generally do about it. Boycott the site and send a quick email to the webmaster/contact address. If they don't want my business...

piqaro likes this.
  11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not tried disabling Flash myself, but United.com has become such a terrible website recently. When trying to simply enter the three letter airport codes for shop for flights or award searches, it hangs or will not even recognize them unless you click downwards into the full name of the airport code. I do wonder if it is in fact the Flash 10.2 update. The UA website crashed my computer while running IE8, but Firefox seems to be less troublesome, and it works much better on the international United websites which have not been updated like the US website. The sad part of all of this is UA's ICC tech support told me last year that united.com is optimized for IE6, which is not even compatible with Facebook.

piqaro likes this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a flash problem. For example, if I load 10 or 15 stories on wsj.com to read on the plane, my computer's battery gets shot. But blocking flash prevents that. I don't know how .bomb could find some other way to use your processor since it's certainly not performing the search on your computer.

If you use Chrome, it's fairly easy to type "about: plugins" in the address bar and uncheck the box next to flash. [Edit: apparently MP tries to turn the Chrome command into a smiley. Remove the space before "plugins"]

piqaro likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had flash blockers installed for a long time and use the UA website all the time without issues, so I'd definitely suggest trying that route. I don't think you'll lose any useful functionality by doing so.

seaflyguy likes this.
  14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How can you make sure the Flash plug in is not infected?
    Does Milepoint use Flash? .bomb really slowed down for me around the time that I discovered Milepoint, though that could be a coincidence, rather than a cause.

15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 .bomb has become almost unusable. I don't know what's the cause nor how to fix it. It is terribly slow now, and not being able to use 3-letter airport codes is another significant slowdown because it introduce more screens to confirm airports. The performance degradation occurs in a lot of different functions. I tried upgrading to the IE9 release candidate but that hasn't helped.

16. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that Firefox is a bit better for using the website, but the IE8 problems seemed to emerge after United enhanced the award travel website to make a simple search for an award impossible.

17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another thing that I noticed on .bomb today is that it is more difficult to find NC/NF inventory by doing an award search. I have it set for expert mode, and you used to be able to hover over the flight details to see inventory in different fare classes. Now you have to click and wait while it opens a new window. It is dramatically slower and less useful.

18. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Carl, I was one of the first to complain about this here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...-problems-possible-solutions.2353/#post-36170

And here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/united-enhances-award-bookings.2088/

The workaround for now is to use the international United sites like united.ca, but let's hope the ohter worldwide sites do not get enhanced like the US site; otherwise, it really will be dot bomb.[​IMG]

19. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been doing too much with awards or looking upgrade inventory, so that was sort of minor compared to the fact that the website has become almost unusable for booking normal travel - between the random delays and hangs and the fact that it won't take 3-letter airport codes with any consistency.
    Is there a decent bug reporting ability? My memory is that you end up talking to front line people in India who aren't able to take a decent bug report

20. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At the ICC call center, they told me united.com is opitmized for IE6 becuase this is the browser used by most people. This tells us all we need to know.

21. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

I block Flash on both Firefox and Safari and am incredibly happy with the results. When I need it for a particular page, it's a click away. Otherwise, no CPU hogging, no machine slowing, no battery draining. And I use united.com all the time without issues.

It's really amazing to see, once you install a Flash blocker, just how much useless advertising crud is coded in it. Some sites will pop up five, six, seven Flash icons indicating separate chunks of Flash-encoded content.

FlashBlock for Firefox
    ClickToFlash for Safari
    See this site if you're using Windows [​IMG]

22. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is my impression that UACO has fixed the .bomb website problems and the performance appears to be back to normal this morning.

23. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started having an issue like this when I installed AdBlock to get rid of the ads here on MilePoint. I've just uninstalled the extension and now everything is dandy when I view .bomb. Just another data point.

[​IMG]

24. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I installed flashblock, and it works great.

I don't see the ability to only apply it to one site though. The options seem to have a whitelist option, not a blacklist option. I have no problems with flash anywhere but united.com -- sounds like they released a really bad update. Maybe they used the CO programmers. ;)

25. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an FYI update - I haven't had a problem with the united.com website for around a week regarding this issue. It was probably fixed around the same time you posted this message. The only update I did to my computer I can recall was the recent Windows 7 service pack.

Anyways, this was extremely annoying when there was a problem, but I'm glad it's fixed now and hope it will stay this way. [​IMG]