United.com layout

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SuperKirby, Apr 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a new UA customer (couple years) and was wondering how long they have had this current website layout? Although efficient, it seems visually outdated compare to the others major airlines...

Same with their phone apps.

ThereseKhu likes this.
  2. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are supposed to change it late this year (the website atleast). The site is from the CO days and you can use the waybackmachine.org to see how long it's existed.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.continental.com

Looking at June 1, 2007 -- it looks pretty much like it does today so it's been awhile.

I actually don't mind the UA mobile apps though as it is very functional and works for me (mind you that they are relatively new).

ThereseKhu and SuperKirby like this.
  3. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Wow, waybackmachine.org is awesome!

ThereseKhu likes this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the appearance, the UA app has far more functionality than any other US based airline's app. DL's app may be pretty, but it doesn't do nearly as much as UA's.

ThereseKhu, 8MiHi, snod08 and 5 others like this.
  5. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I don't utilize it as much as I should. Probably because i'm on T-Mobile and therefore have bad data connection pretty much everywhere.

ThereseKhu likes this.
  6. palmeiras1000

palmeiras1000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's probably the only airline app in which you could search and even book Award tickets.
    It's certainly the best airline app out there

Flyer1976 and SuperKirby like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try using any of the newer sites on a lower bandwidth connection or a small screen. They absolutely suck. Pretty pictures are, well, pretty. But they don't do much for me in terms of utility.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    As on online merchant myself, I have a real appreciation for the challenges of functionality, ease of use, low number of clicks to access relative info, etc. It's a tough job at any price, as the programmers have to think like the consumer without letting their technical bias interfere. Despite the complaints I have read here, going with the CO website was one of the very good decisions UA made during the merger, IMHO.

One big problem I have noticed, however, is that united.com on a Mac running Chrome loads painfully ssslllooowww. Not only that, it freezes up every other window that is open in Chrome while it starts trying to load. It can take five to ten minutes sometimes. This is not unique to any OS version I have, which runs from Snow Leopard through Mountain Lion. I have started accessing it only through Firefox, which otherwise lacks in functionality for many other sites. UA, however, works just fine on Firefox. I never experienced any problems with continental.com, but I can't recall if that was before I switch from Firefox to Chrome. It does seem to be a rather recently noticed issue, even post merger. I don't have a log to which I can refer, as I spend enough time trying to make the site that pays my bills work better.

I'm not sure how it works on Chrome in Windows, as I have not one Windows machine in my company or home. Perhaps others can share their experience here. ??? Not that it matters to me, but I have only the Mac perspective to share, and I am curious if it is a Chrome thing overall, or a Chrome thing on Mac OS only.

8MiHi and SuperKirby like this.
  9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Works fine for me on Safari. Chrome uses Safari's rendering engine (but will be forking it, so they'll diverge), but Chrome uses a different JavaScript engine.

8MiHi and SuperKirby like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The performance isses might also be related to loading Flash. When I disable that my browsing experience gets a whole lot better.

8MiHi, SuperKirby and desamo like this.
  11. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the above.

webdes03, SuperKirby and rggale like this.
  12. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truth be told, I miss the old pda.continental.com site that was text-only. I often viewed that site on my computer since it was super fast and highly functional.

13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Point. Some of the mobile versions of travel sites allow you to get things done quickly and to the point. Something to consider when using a desktop browser.

SuperKirby and rggale like this.
  14. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's still there. There's a link on the bottom of the mobile site for text only.

15. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the exact same problem on my Mac. I always have to switch to FireFox when i'm on United.com however, Chrome seems to work best with most websites so I still stick with it. Glad to know i'm not the only one. Did you notice Hyatt.com works pretty bad on Chrome as well? I also switch to FireFox for Hyatt.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  16. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm gonna give this a try...Hopefully it won't hinder my other sites I view...

17. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    TMYK....

SuperKirby likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is similar but not quite the same. And when I asked about getting back to a text-only option I was essentially told to pound sand.

SuperKirby likes this.
  19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only part of United's normal booking/viewing workflow that uses Flash is the blue animated screen while loading a booking.

SuperKirby likes this.
  20. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah thats the part that freezes up sometimes. Disabling the flash helped, thus far...

desamo likes this.
  21. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm shocked. :)

8MiHi, Flyer1976 and SuperKirby like this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not quite. The home page uses flash in the top-right "main" module, too. Ir didn't load in this screenshot due to bandwidth limitations on my current connection, but it is definitely flash-based content there.

flash.JPG

desamo, mht_flyer, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  23. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Ahh, good point. I often have my "all reservations" or account detail page loaded, so I don't see that particular Flash bit as often.

24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your MS Paint artwork is beyond Awesome™.

25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel better, too, knowing I'm not the only one. Doesn't make me like it any more, but I fell better. ;)

As for disabling Flash, that seems like an unnecessary PITA. United IT.... Are you listening? We Mac users are no longer an insignificant percentage.

desamo and SuperKirby like this.