United.com down for the past 24 hours due to a major IT problem

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Feb 13, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just tried logging into my MileagePlus account at united.com and the system did not seem to recognize me, with the message that my password was not recognized. I then tried to retrieve/reset my password but it complained that the username/account #, which was required on the password reset form, was not recognized! Lastly, I tried to retrieve my username/account #, which brought up a form that I had to fill with my email, full name, home address and phone number, and I got the message that "! There is not a MileagePlus account that matches the name or information given." Suddenly I was concerned that I might have been hacked because I had logged in earlier and the system had forced me to choose 5 questions and provide answers (for use if I did need to reset my password); it had also indicated that for security reasons I would have to change my password as well, but after I selected the 5 questions and provided the answers, it just let me into the account without getting to the password change. This glitch may be related. Anyway, apprehensive, I called 1K desk and was told that there has been a major IT problem since yesterday, which has locked many -- apparently not all -- members out.

If this has been going on since yesterday, I am surprised it let me book a TPAC flight when it let me in earlier. Fortunately, the 1K desk agent assured me that she could see the booking and everything seemed kosher.

If you have trouble getting into your MileagePlus account, then the IT problem I just reported here would be the culprit.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    iolaire likes this.
  2. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had no issues doing anything on UAL the last 48 hours. I noticed the app was being a little unresponsive until I logged out and logged back in using a password versus a PIN.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That seems to be the case. I was aware that a pin would no longer work but my attempt to reset my password, since I had not set one up when or since CO and UA merged, produced what I reported above. Just for the heck of it, I decided to try logging in using my old pre-merger MileagePlus account password and, lo and behold, I got in!

The short of it is that use of pin numbers has been discontinued but UA did a lousy job communicating that. The system did not force me to set a new password because it saw that I already had one, since the one for my pre-merger UA account automatically transferred. It simply expected me to figure this out on my own and start using it...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to redeposit a GPU and re-apply it to a new itinerary tonight; UA agent needed my Pin # to complete the transaction. :D

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange...Maybe that will now be the only use for account pin numbers. This is what I get when I try to login with my pin number. Note the message...

upload_2016-2-14_1-29-42.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    iolaire likes this.
  6. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After the last UA problem with hacking several months ago, I changed my pin the a complicated password which may not provide any greater security to my account but makes me feel better.

So although I got the 5 question request (shouldn't it be 4 questions :eek::D) It allowed me to defer them and just proceed with my business.

However, in truth, I have no idea how the site will behave in the future. :oops:

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect absolutely no change in function. SNAFU