United Club renewal or Priority Pass

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by vjjohnson3, Dec 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. vjjohnson3

vjjohnson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings all!
    I'm wondering if anyone has had a Priority Pass lounge membership and if they liked that better than the United Club (us airways and star alliance access) membership.

I can either renew with miles for next year with the United Club or get a new Prority Pass membership which I believe includes most of the same clubs but also a few more perhaps.

I fly mostly domestically and 2 or 3 international per year and am a United 1K.

Or maybe any reasons to not get the priority pass membership instead.

Thanks and happy flying!!!
    Vincent J.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want free guests then the UA or US (often cheaper) club membership will likely be a better value. The full Priority Pass membership isn't particularly cheap and costs an extra $27/guest entry. I like PPass for international selections but domestically the value proposition isn't so great.

And don't forget the Chase card option from United. I think the best offer these days is $95 off for the first year and you can get a $60 credit as a 1K. That would be a pretty good deal, I'd guess.

IDGflygirl and 8MiHi like this.
  3. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Can't use miles to renew UC membership, but you can use miles to cover the $395 annual fee on the Club visa, which includes membership.

8MiHi and Scottrick like this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe many have said if you call in, you "may" still be able to use miles to renew membership, but it might be for only higher levels like 1K and GS.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

mht_flyer likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have both. I use my United Club membership far more often since I almost exclusively fly United. The two or three times I've used Priority Pass, it didn't see that critical. One of them I was next door to a United Club anyway and the Priority Pass just for fun.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Priority pass,amex plat or delta reserve are much better. Two of the those gets you access to alaska boardroom the best!

8MiHi likes this.
  8. vjjohnson3

vjjohnson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I called the united club phone number they said that platinums and 1K can still use miles to pay for the membership. and they said that the prices are going up as of jan 1. And they are going to stop offering a 3 year membership as of jan 1.
    i have been in the alaska clubs also and they seem really nice with better food.
    Doesn't the priority pass allow you to go to all the same clubs as the united club membership and even more?

9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all United Clubs are part of Priority Pass network.

I think the answer which membership is better depends on the airline you're flying the most. Another alternative is to get a credit card that includes PP Select membership to supplement UC membership. For example, Ameriprise World Elite MC costs $100 a year ($150 annual fee - $50 airline credit).

8MiHi, TAHKUCT and sobore like this.
  10. vjjohnson3

vjjohnson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I end up flying united for about 105,000 actual miles. The rest is with alaska, southwest, virgin america, us air etc all based out of southern calif

The credit card option sounds like a good solution to finding a lounge most of the time.
    UC membership with miles and PP membership with card.
    To be honest the united club becomes kind of monotonous and depressing with the same unhealthy food and amenities at all if them.

Thanks!

8MiHi likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed...I wouldn't pay for it at all, cash or points. Just not worth it to me.

12. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have both Cards. TK *Gold (UA Domestic Access) and PP from AMEX Platinum.

Which card is used for the Alaska Boardroom? Im a bit confused. Thanks and Safe Travels

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think Amex works for the AS BR. I believe they do take Priority Pass, as well as Delta Sky Club if you are flying either AS or DL.

14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex Business Platinum comes with Priority Pass Select membership which allows the members entry into AS BR with a valid BP (along with 600 lounges worldwide). It is not valid in any domestic United Clubs that I am aware of. The Standard PP membership is valid in some UCs (maybe all, I do not know). Guests are $27 which is charged at time of entry to the Amex card.

NYCUA1K and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    One interesting fact about Ameriprise MC is that they have never charged me a guest fee when I used PP Select. Not a published benefit though.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received this from United:
    We’re planning to make updates to clubs worldwide
    No indication of how quickly they are going to update their clubs, only that the ORD UC in terminal 2 was re-opened on the 23rd. If they are going to do a thorough and timely job of this then there may either be cheese at the end of the maze or disruptions. I will be looking for news of the process going forward.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  17. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just visited that club for the first time. It's a beautiful place.

18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any new food offerings there?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using milepoint

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have both the UC and Full PP memberships (the PP "Select" is no good for entering UC lounges). My sense is that in your situation the UC card should suffice because as a 1K you have *G status, which would cover you while traveling internationally, while the UC membership would be good for domestic trips. However, I found myself in a situation last week during my ongoing Year-End Asian Escapade in which PP was my ONLY option for entering the ONLY lounge that was available to wait for nearly 2 hours for my flight. I had just spent a day at Hilton Sanya Resort and Spa in Hainan (China's most southern province in South China Sea and "China's answer to Hawaii" -- trip report coming soon) and was returning to HKG, but went a bit too early to the airport that looks more like KOA than HNL and had only ONE First Class lounge that is accessible only if you have a First Class ticket for one of the region's airlines or one of the cards listed below (I had an economy ticket for Dragon Air):
    Hainan1.jpg

UC membership or *G status were clearly not going to get me in; PP was my only option for access to what turned out to be a pretty decent lounge! There are many small islands and resorts like this one where PP is usually the only option other than having a First Class ticket for some regional airline... Is this worth it for you?

Hainan-FC-Lounge.jpg

IDGflygirl likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How is the rest of the airport? There are many I've found lately to not be so horrible for an hour or two. Certainly not so bad that I'd cough up for a membership versus buying in the once or twice I needed it.

Was the lounge at Sanya willing to sell you a day-pass? Most Priority Pass lounges are IME.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are 1K and flying mostly domestic you will want UC f/k/a RCC access for domestic flights so that is your best option. However that won't help you on the few occasions when you (like me) end up flying other carriers. So maybe PC with "per visit" option is a good backup. As noted above, the main problems with PC are lack of access to RCCs (and thus not conveniently located at UA hubs) and exhorbitant cost for guests - would cost me roughly $100+ per visit for my family of 4. However it works well for the solo traveler who flies many carriers, and even better for those who fly in economy overseas and don't have *G or equivalent status.

22. stm69

stm69 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm 1K and was unable to renew with miles. That was when the UC card came out with the $395 annual fee waived first year, so I jumped on that instead.

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The comparison to KOA was fairly apt. I did not ask if they would sell a day-pass since I had my PP card. Below are some pics of the "security" check, general waiting area and the First Class lounge.

SYX.jpg

Waiting area:
    SYX-WAITING-AREA.jpg

FC Lounge:

SYX-FC-LOUNGE.jpg

This is a tiny airport serving a fairly popular resort, meaning that it is usually adequate during low season, which this was, but can be trying when the number of travelers swells to tax the capacity of the facility (see, e.g., recent rant about KOA). That is when one would like to escape the crowd, find an oasis...in other words, this lounge at SYX is just as valuable as one at any airport when the crowd is too large, there are very long delays due to irrops, etc...)

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this case, there's a Diner's Club logo on the sign for the lounge, so having that credit card would get you in too.

25. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, and the new coffee service alluded to in the marketing email seems to consist of a newer espresso machine. That's all.

I took a few pictures: http://bit.ly/VGC7aM

sobore and TAHKUCT like this.