United Club renewal fees

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bonnerbl, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boy I sure missed this one if it was posted. Time to renew my united Club membership and was looking forward to a painless mileage for renewal process. Think again. I'm 1K and the cost of the United Club membership for me and spouse was $550. That sort of took my breath away :)

8MiHi likes this.
  2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can call and use miles to renew. It has been discussed many times here.

3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well according to the people who answer the Club Service Center number the only people who can use miles to purchase club access are Global Service folks. Just called back and got the same answer.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh, because I know a 1MM who did it a few months ago. Perhaps the policy's changed in the interim.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once more: In March 2012, purchasing of United Club membership using miles was "suspended" and, as far as I know, the suspension has not yet been recinded. But there is a workaround if you are willing to apply for a United Club card from Chase. It will cost you $395/yr, and you get:
    • UC membership
    • no foreign transaction fee
    • CPUd even on an award ticket
    • lugguage fee waived
    • premier access
    • Hyatt Platinum elite level for as long as you have the card
    • etc..
    and you are allowed a guest.

For the first year, you get a $95 statement credit so that it will cost you $300, i.e., a bit cheaper than using miles (47.5K when the option was suspended). Here's the workaround with respect to using miles to pay for the membership fee: You use the Choices program, which works even if you are short on credit card miles; just use standard RDMs. Here are the T&C:
    Like I'd surmised before, I think that this is why the option to use miles to purchase a UC membership was suspended indefinitely. They would like for people to get it through the card. I just got the card (business version), and considering all the perks, including no forex fee, I think that it is a great deal. Still costs me about the same number of miles but I get some other perks not available with just the UC membership.

8MiHi likes this.
  6. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my coworkers renewed about 3 weeks ago by calling. He's a 1K and I think he said it was 45k miles. I guess it's a YMMV call.

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    HUCB. (Hang up, call back)

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unstated benefits are almost always flukes...the word has not gotten down to everyone yet so that anyone who has gotten a UC membership renewed with miles simply got lucky...

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm allowed two guests with my real membership, and I don't have to argue (as a significant number of people did) when there membership isn't showing on UA's side even though you got it with the card.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must be two as well with the card, which is a "real" membership. I just listed the benefits off the top of my head...

I got the card by invitation because I was already a UC member so that the membership benefits on the card are the same as they relate to UC but I get more.... My paid membership was good to 2014 so I am getting the miles reimbursed for the extra year that I will not use because I got the card.

8MiHi likes this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also think the card is a good deal. However, the membership does not extend to a second cardholder. The OP specifically mentioned the cost of membership for him and his spouse. Getting a UA Club card would only cover him, requiring a full membership for the spouse. Assuming two memberships are really necessary, paying cash for both is still the cheapest option.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. Voodard

Voodard Active Member

Status Points:
    I thought a spousal membership was only $175 (+/-) when a United Club Cardholder had membership. I know the Club Card member has to call to add their spouse.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would definitely be cheaper to pay cash ($550) for the extra membership than to get 2 UC cards ($790) unless you weigh in the extra perks that you get with the UC card. The card would still be cheaper for a couple that travels together;)

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In so much as they have to have some sort of mechanism for debiting the account the correct number of miles for the membership it seems unlikely that it is just a fluke.
    Pretty sure you can add spouse benefits to the Club membership which comes with the CC. You don't have to buy two full cards.

mht_flyer and Scottrick like this.
  15. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is also the option of taking advantage of Turkish/Aegean status matches. Not quite the same (no spouse option) - but much cheaper.

16. anthstr

anthstr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the club card and it is nice... If you are elite (I'm Gold) you can usually get the fee waived for the first year by logging into Mileage Plus and looking at the offer banner in your My Account section.
    For those of you who rent vehicles, it also comes with Avis Presidential Preferred (guaranteed two-car upgrades), which is also transferable to Hertz President Circle and National Executive Elite status.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not down that path again:confused:! The link below is where you go when you wish to know about what it will cost to purchase a UC membership:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/rates.aspx

I see no pay with miles option, and have heard a few anecdotal cases of people being able to do it...just like the purported 2-yr elite status on the AMEX Surpass that a handful thought was an "unstated" benefit...

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Either paying with points is or is not supported by the system. There's no way a rogue agent - much less several of them - managed to come up with a way to debit accounts for a membership at the appropriate amount.

There may be issues with the company not properly publishing the guidelines to their public websites or not properly educating their employees. But I highly doubt that the ability to buy a membership with miles comes from someone at the company tricking the system into doing something it isn't configured to support.

mht_flyer likes this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saying that it is a legit benefit because the system can do it is NOT an argument. There are lots of things that a system can do, and the ability to take points or miles would be built into most airline/hotel systems.

I provided you with the link. That is how you purchase UC membership, despite claims that a few people have been able to buy it with miles. It is regular noise in every system; the exception that upholds the rule. Besides, I am not sure why you seem to like these extra T&C "benefits", which would be a headache for CSRs with people calling and demanding them because some have reported getting those "benefits". Loyalty programs must have published rules that apply across the board. Anything that is done at the provider's discretion or is due to system error should be seen as just an aberration and not be promoted as some sort of "unstated" benefit...it is a fluke.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you think that the ability for an agent to make up a number of miles required for any particular transaction and then actually effect that transaction is something normal? If the agent says it is 75K miles for me and 55K miles for you then that would be a fluke. That's not what seems to be happening here. And it seems quite unlikely that the agents are picking a number of miles, debiting an account as a "customer service" transaction and also extending a UClub membership by a year. Perhaps someone who has recently successfully completed such a transaction can share what it posted to their statement as.

As for whether I like unpublished benefits or not, there are certainly some I think are good for customers. I've never suggested that one should expect to receive them (actually quite the opposite and I believe you've taken the alternate stance, particularly on lounge access). But I do like them when they work in my favor.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look, just a run a poll to see how many people got this so called benefit of yours, then may be it would be worth the time...

The big puzzle is: Why is it important that there be extra T&C benefits?:confused::confused::confused: Why not just have benefits in the T&C if they are intended to be benefits?

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I honestly think that in this case they've restored the option but not bothered to update the website. And agents are notoriously hit-or-miss even when it comes to getting published benefits.

I don't think that it is necessarily important for a company to offer unpublished benefits. It is useful to customers to know what they are when they do exist.

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it. Do the poll!

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Feel free. I have no desire to waste my time.

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally, something we can agree on: a waste of time on what is clearly a fluke.