United Club -- Rejoining = Renewal?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Mar 11, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My United Club membership lapsed at the end of January, and I don't plan another trip where I will need it until May.

The last time I renewed after it had lapsed, they made the membership retroactive from the date my membership had expired but that was just a month or so afterwards. Does anyone know what happens if you renew after a lapse of 4 months?? Do you get a complete 12 months from the date you renew, or am I going to end up paying for a full year, but only getting 8 months?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dublin_rfk, satman40, trobb49 and 2 others like this.
  3. achoburg

achoburg New Member

Status Points:
    I would make it clear that you don't want to "renew" your membership. Rather, you simply want to purchase a new membership. Depending on how much you travel you may choose to purchase a day pass vs. an annual membership.

satman40 likes this.
  4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a matter of the "initiation" fee; as long as the "lapsed time" exceeds whatever the initiation fee is, it's smart to pay the initiation fee and start a fresh 12 months membership from the point of that new membership charge.

satman40, trobb49 and Counsellor like this.
  5. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for these comments! I had forgotten about the initiation fee, but as it turns out, any renewals after 30 days are charged the $50 initiation fee anyway.

As a 1K member, the annual fee is $450 + the initiation fee, so $500 or about $42/month, so it does pay to start over again if you won't be using the Club for 2 months or more.

There is no "Day pass" just a "One-time pass" ($59) so you would have to pay twice to use the lounges at two airports on the same day.

satman40 likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lounges are great, but if it is not worth it why pay it.

Most of the time my ticket on United gives me access, most of the time I do not use it.

I do have One times passes, that never seems to get used, unless given away.

AC seems to get used more, but many time I am glad they both are there.

trobb49 likes this.
  7. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would anyone pay for membership in these ratholes? Particularly an infrequent flyer??

If you really want to camp out here on a one-off basis simply buy a pass on eBay. Those who prefer more frequent torture can get a Chase UA card or JPM Palladium card which include many more benefits plus Priority Pass (with the latter)