United Club Card upgrades?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by dildooba44, Sep 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Sorry, the first draft of this was asking about getting upgraded to E+ through the United Club Card but found out that Club Card upgrades are only available on reward tickets. Wasn't able to edit the title. This question relates to getting upgraded to E+ at the last minute since no seats assignments are available.)

I have no status on United. I just booked 3 tickets TUL-RIC but was only able to secure seats assignments on the first of four legs (TUL-ORD). Lots of E+ seats available.

Question is, if I don't buy E+ upgrades (which are currently available) do you think I have a chance of being put in E+ on the day of travel or more likely they upgrade someone else who already got an E seat assignment and give us seats in E?

2. Traveling Cub

Traveling Cub Active Member

Status Points:
    Howdy - If you do not have a seat assignment, United will give away E+ seats, but only under certain circumstances as I have been told by the chatty agents at the small airport I travel from.

If E- seats open up due to others buying E+, you will be put into E-.

If all E- seats are taken, and you still are not assigned a seat, they will give you E+ for free at the gate on the day of departure. They won't move other people without status from E- just so they can give you seats in E-. They'll just seat you in E+

They should not give E+ away for free if there are enough E- seats open and available. However, it has been my experience that the enforcement of the policy is lacking. Sometimes, asking politely, and smiling is payment enough.

Good Luck.

pyelder likes this.
  3. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much. I almost unselected my seats on the first leg for hope that maybe that would happen (get bumped to E+).. Well, I can be nice so I'll try that. Thanks for answering. I have limited experience w United but plan on flying them a lot these next 12+ months.

4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Traveling Cub. A smile and polite manner work wonders. My suggestion is ask when the agent is not busy.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me the most important factor is that if you don't pick your seats now there is a good chance the three flyers will sit far from each other... If the flyers are adults thats no big deal, but if you find that a small child is seated nowhere near a parent it will reflect poorly on your choice.

8MiHi and Mikus33 like this.
  6. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh. I didn't think of that. Well, I now have the first and last legs with seat assignments (TUL-ORD) but it's the busier ORD-RIC that I guess we won't get assigned seats. We'll (all adults) just assume we'll be split up so we're not too disappointed.

iolaire likes this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this thread has been on E+, but I just found out in the HNL UC that having one of the appropriate credit cards while using award miles with premier status (in this case Gold) does get you the chance (a very tiny one, but a chance nevertheless) for an upgrade to First (or Business Class) only if you ask for it at the airport. Standby for upgrade under these circumstances currently requires manual entry by an agent and clearing all paid-fare premiers. So it appears that time of entry at the airport (within status) may also matter. I do not think this is unreasonable at all, but I like to know how it actually works when there is a chance, especially when Mrs 8MiHi travels on miles.

8. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm new school, has there ever been a UA CC in the past that gives upgrade eligibility on non award flights?

9. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    Asking nicely sometimes work, but the odds of getting it is 1 in 1000. I got bumped to E+ from Seoul to Tokyo once; I really think that the ticketing agent was in super good mood.

10. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there anyway to find out before getting to the airport? Via united.com/calling?

8MiHi likes this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The website appears useless for this task. When I tried calling last year they were completely unable to help. I was told that this item was on their list of fixes several months ago and it might be fixed today. Neither my wife (Platinum), nor I, have flown on an award since, so I do not have any extra insight to add.

SuperKirby likes this.