United Club Card - Fee reduction?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Apr 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone been able to negotiate a fee waiver/reduction or some sort of bonus for renewing/keeping the UA Club Card? I assume with the one free year being up for many now it's reconsideration time... I am thinking of trying to use the Avis status downgrade as an argument, though frankly I am not very hopeful.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cancel it. Wait a while. Open a new one. I had a CO PPMC for several years, it transitioned to UA CC. I didn't feel as if the benefits were as good and just let it lapse. I don't have one at the moment although I suppose I could re-up under the fee-waiver. In my view the change I didn't like was the deletion of the 25% RDM card bonus on CO/UA flights.

BTW, HaveMiles, I must say your avatar is awesome :p Dare I say, it is best in class. I like the attack posture and the rabid look in its eyes. It reminds me of... DL apologists over there...ah, never mind.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not want to mess with your honey badger avatar. Having spent three years in Africa, I can attest to their dispostion.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I might cancel it. I still have the old Select card, which ultimately is a better deal for me.

It was a pretty bold guy, stealing cat food on our front porch. I like'm but I don't actually want to feed them.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to have any Chase card that would give me miles. I was just about to move my business account to Chase when they discontinued the CO/UA mileage benefit from their debit cards. That was a real let down, as thousands of dollars go through that account daily, and the majority of them go out on a debit card.

When applying for a Chase Explorer card, the snarkiest little power-hungry little girl who declined my application blamed some old account I had in the 90s. It was a Circuit City card that was not owned by Chase at the time, and whoever was running it kept messing up the statements. I tried, but could never get them to fix the problem, thus it took time out of every month to resolve it.

Back then, my maturity level was not well enough developed to recognize that I was cutting off my nose to spite my face by making sure they got paid on the 29th day of the billing cycle. That's just one or two days before they can report it as late to the bureaus, but it doesn't keep them from keeping internal records that diss me.

I have two other Chase cards that I pay off every month, but they won't allow me to change them over to UA branded cards. So I am now suffering the transition of my, "I'll show them!" posture to the "I'll show me!" reality. Seriously, though.... What do they have to gain from holding a grudge when it wasn't even Chase who ticked me off as a much younger man? Seems to me that we are both losing on this deal, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Oh well... If I ever want to go on a free exotic vacation, I have enough UA miles earned the hard way, and AA, Taca/Avianca and US Airways miles earned through cards and online non-airline purchases that I'm not worried about getting there in style. It just seems to be more appealing to be dancing with the same partner in the FF loyalty ball. That said, I still prefer Taca/Avianca to any airline I fly, although speaking fluent Spanish does come in handy when flying them.

Copa is great, too, but they are MileagePlus. I don't think they have a US branded card for earning miles. I just flew into Orlando from SJO tonight on a Copa economy ticket, and the upgrades cleared BEFORE the 96 hour window for 1Ks. There were still empty seats in the front cabin that didn't get filled, and that's not unusual IME. The food and service are both of the quality that would end all complaints about same on these boards if UA were to adopt their practices, although I understand why they don't/can't.

SuperKirby and redtailshark like this.