United Club at Tokyo Narita Airport

Discussion in 'NRT/HND/KIX/ITM/CTS/FUK | Japan Regional Airports' started by Dozer, Nov 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The United Club at Tokyo Narita Airport is located in terminal 1 near gate 31. The United Club and the Global First Lounge share the same entrance but the Global First Lounge is located upstairs and offers a quieter and more exclusive place to rest and stay productive before your flight.

The United Club at Tokyo Narita Airport is new and modern but still influenced by traditional Japanese design elements that represent this beautiful country. There are traditional Japanese paintings lining the walls and art pieces located throughout. The lounge is huge and offers plenty of seating areas to relax, work stations to keep you productive and shower rooms to freshen up before your flight. There are plenty of USB and electrical ports to keep your devices powered and wifi to keep you connected.

There are two food stations located on either side of the lounge. One side offers hot soup, noodles, sushi, edamame and a self serve bar area with a decent selection of alcohol including wine, spirits and beer on tap. The other side has a selection of fresh fruit, cakes, crackers and other snacks. There’s also an alcohol station, espresso machine and a soda fountain. Chilled glasses are provided in the refrigerator by the self-serve bar areas. The sushi bar is nothing impressive but is a nice compliment to the traditional snacks typically found in domestic United Clubs. There’s a good selection of international newspapers and magazines and they’re pretty good about making boarding and flight announcements in both English and Japanese.

For a United Club, this is one of the best that I have ever visited. It’s sleek, modern and spacious and makes me wish the other United Clubs would be this impressive. However, this lounge is the only United Club located at Tokyo Narita and it is always packed. There is a steady stream of flyers coming and going throughout the day and though spacious, you do have hunt for a premium seat or work station with views of the runway. But if do get one of the seats by the windows, there are some bitchin plane spotting of the wide body jets United flies to Narita including the 747’s, 777’s and 787’s. I’m assuming because it’s so packed, this lounge is a little on the warm side and the wifi is slooooow. You actually get faster speeds stepping out of the lounge and using the airport’s free wifi during peak times.

The United Club is open to those flying in business or first class cabins and those holding Gold (or higher) status, even if you’re flying on an economy ticket. If you find that the lounge is too crowded for your taste and need a quieter place to relax and work, the Korean Airlines lounge is located near gate 26. It’s open to Korean Airlines and SkyTeam premium cabin passengers and those holding Priority Pass membership. Though smaller, the KAL lounge is much less crowded and is exponentially quieter. A review of the Korean Airlines lounge will be posted soon.

http://pursuedadventures.com/lounge-review-united-club-tokyo-narita-airport/

2. I am here now!

I am here now! Active Member

Status Points:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it may not be so easy for a lot of people to move from United Club to Korean Air's lounge since they belong to 2 different alliances: United is Star Alliance and Korean Air is Sky Team.

Laptop Nomad and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

Personally I prefer NH lounges at NRT to UA lounges.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very perceptive and absolutely accurate description of the UC at Narita, where I was just a couple of days ago (Saturday) on the way from SIN to JFK through LAX. While I agree with all the positives, the negatives that you also described quite accurately above got to be a bit too much for me. I am not one to complain when things are even barely ok, but with about 3 hours to kill at NRT, the UC got to be too crowded for one to find a decent seat, too warm for comfort, and -- this was the killer -- the internet connection was so slow it was a joke! I can live wit the other amenities being crappy, but not with crappy internet for 3 hours....it was time for me to look elsewhere. The UC is located near gate 31, and my flight -- the NRT-LAX B787 -- was scheduled to depart from gate 36. I gathered my carry-on and backpack and headed for the door where I stopped to ask an agent where the nearest *A lounge was. She told me that the ANA *A lounge was near gate 47. I got out, looked at the map of the terminal and gate 36, from where I would be departing, was about half way between gate 31 (UC) and gate 47 (ANA *A lounge), about 5 min walk either way. So,I decided to go to check out the ANA *A lounge. The difference was like night and day: the ANA lounge seemed newer and was better furnished and decorated than the UC, was not crowded and provided more "privacy", the AC was working perfectly, the munchies were definitely better, but importantly, the internet connection had higher than average speed!

If the extremely popular UC at NRT gets to be too much for you, please try going to the ANA *A lounge near gate 47 in T1. You'll be glad you did...;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  5. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're absolutely correct. They are two different airline alliances. I wasn't implying that United flyers could use SkyTeam airlines lounges. I was saying that you could use the KAL lounge if you have a Priority Pass membership. Most people on here who travel frequently have a Priority Pass membership. I get mine included with my Amex Platinum card. I was simply giving others another option if the United Club didn't work out for them.

And the ANA lounge is much nicer than the United Club. I would recommend the ANA lounge over the UC also if that is an option for you guys.

Laptop Nomad and Flying Machine like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shhhhhush, you've let the secret out!

Laptop Nomad and Flying Machine like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW! That is a light-year of differences from the US-based United Clubs I've visited! :cool: Are there any other United Clubs similar to this located elsewhere? :rolleyes:

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  8. AlmaMahler

AlmaMahler New Member

Status Points:
    With respect, I humbly disagree. I visited both ANA and UC on the same day. ANA is quieter and has better food. However, the surroundings at the UC are definitely better. Love the natural light and the ability to see the jetway. Had no problem with Wi-fi. So it' really a toss up what you value more. But I wouldn't say that one is light years better than the other.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It simply means that (a) you value different things than I do when it comes to airport lounges, and (b) you happened to be in the UC when the Wi-fi actually worked. You did not say anything about the crowd or whether or not the AC was working that day in the UC....

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Laptop Nomad likes this.
  10. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    you are so correct ANA lounge is life savior and worth the walk. It has clean facilities, good food, friendly staff

11. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly different approaches to a similar endpoint. Each lounge has it's +s and -s, my lounge decision is usually made as to time of day, my willingness to mingle with the herd, departure gate, layover time, phase of the moon.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  12. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have *Gold and Priorty Pass your are good to go..

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  13. Flying Machine

Status Points:

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  14. Flying Machine

Status Points:
    I do as well (however the ANA agents when they see a UA Boarding Pass are quick to let you know that there is a UA Club closer to your Departure Gate. I acknowledge and say that I prefer the ANA lounge, and will walk to my gate later..

kiwi likes this.
  15. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get to do a side by side comparison shortly. Fluging in and out a few times on this work / MR. UA in ANA out and the reverse a couple of days later. Should be interesting to evaluate both lounges a short time frame.

16. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    NH by a mile.

Flying Machine and kiwi like this.
  17. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree

Flying Machine likes this.
  18. Flying Machine

Status Points:
    Enjoy, looking forward to hear your cmmentary. I will be in NRT later in the week, and I plan to stop in ANA on arrivaal before my flight to SGN..