United Club℠ membership fee changes, effective 01/01/13

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Jett Rink, Nov 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:

uggboy likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The towers of Kibble must be costing them too much incremental revenue. I for one won't purchase a membership with the current offerings in place when competitors have a superior product in their Lounges in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

unavaca and mht_flyer like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I renewed this year, but won't next year.

The only way I will renew next year, given what offerings the UA Club currently has is if they officially re-instate the miles option. And even then, it's a "maybe".

Their food offerings never change and are not very good. The WIFI is often overloaded where I can't do anything and much of the furniture needs refurbishment.

For all that, they want to raise the price?

US Airways charges 325.00 for a year membership if you are Chairman's. UA charges 1k 375.00 (and then next year 400.00). Doesn't add up as a good value to me.

Now if UA said they were going to start serving real food in the club, like sandwiches, do a WIFI infrastructure overhaul and replace all the old furniture next year, maybe I would re-consider.

Flyer1976 and tommy777 like this.
  4. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tilamook cheese stock down 5% on the news.

sobore, unavaca, Flyer1976 and 5 others like this.
  5. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am only going to pay this price increase if you promise these things:

1. There must still be ChexMix. After a long day of meetings and grinding out business deals I am usually starving, and nothing hits the spot like ChexMix.
    2. The lounges must continue to be standing room only... If I am going to eat all of that ChexMix, I should burn calories by having to stand for an hour or two.
    3. Please make sure the only alcohol worth drinking is still a $6 upgrade.
    4. Lastly, no furniture updates please. Have you been in some of the other lounges by other airlines with that clean modern furniture? Yuck! I like the furniture I sit in after a long day of travel to remind me of my grandmother's house.

legalalien, 8MiHi, mht_flyer and 5 others like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This, including the old news that the UC membership fee is going up, is a recurrent topic that has now spread over several threads. See for example here.

Those who followed those threads will know that the way to get a UC membership these days it to apply for the Chase United Club visa card because you get the UC membership AND the option to pay for it with miles. This post has the goods.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clearly their business plan is to drive everyone to the credit card option. UA can off-load certain membership expenses on Chase while receiving a fairly predictable cash flow. Chase gets very high quality, low default rate credit card customers.

LETTERBOY, NYCUA1K and Phorever like this.
  8. espostor

espostor Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's awfully generous of you to call it "cheese".

mht_flyer likes this.