United Check in issue between Canada and US and upgrades

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ashlake1234, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ashlake1234

ashlake1234 New Member

Status Points:
    I am a US green card holder and travel frequently between Canada and US. I am premier Silver member. When I get back from Canada to US United does not allow me to check in via online and tells me that you need to show your documentation at the airport to complete the check-in. However other airlines allow the easy web check in and put me in upgrade list.
    Does it effect my chances of getting upgrade? I don't see myself on upgrade list when I look into mobile upgrade list.
    Thanking in advance

2. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you showing on the flight upgrade list after you check-in when UA says you need to show your documentation at the airport? My guess is you are actually checked in but you can't get your BP without showing the proper documentation.

In terms of affecting upgrades...it doesn't affect any upgrade processing unless it gets down to the gate agent processing upgrades. At that point check-in time might be a factor in where you fall on the list but status and fare class are the two big factors. So if you're silver on a "T" fare you could potentially be behind other silvers on "T" fares if you checked in later.

If you show on the upgrade wait list online then you are technically checked-in. If not then you are technically not checked-in and the check-in process won't be complete until you go to the airport.

-RM

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Known bug relating to US Green card holders, unfortunately.

4. ashlake1234

ashlake1234 New Member

Status Points:
    Upgade list online does not show my name listed. When I called up mileage program rep she said that list only shows people who are upgraded and not the wait list. But I can actually see people upgraded and other people listed underneath the list. My current fare for tomorrow's travel is W. Last couple week back it showed me on the list after I got to the airport. Earlier Continental sie used to allow me to check-in and be listed in the upgrade list

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to say then you are not checked in and the situation I brought up in my original post about where you fall on the upgrade list will apply. If other silvers on "W" fares check in before you and get on the upgrade list they will potentially be higher than you. To be totally honest you silvers don't get upgraded all that frequently so it may not make a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

The agent gave you complete BS. Any upgrade eligible customer who has checked in will show on the list.

-RM

6. ashlake1234

ashlake1234 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Hopefully after becoming gold(5 flights away) chances might improve. I was really pissed off after talking to the rep and thinking of changing the airlines.

7. ashlake1234

ashlake1234 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't remember exactly where I found this (so I'm not entirely sure I have the information exactly correct), but apparently UA's system thinks that green card holders need an outbound segment out of the US to do online checkin.

9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hold both US and Canadian Citizenship. Of course going into the US I always have my US passport, all the information is logged into my UA profile, but when I check-in on line it always tells me I will have to check-in at the airport so that a UA agent can check my documents. Never had a problem with this prior to the merger, and when I use AC as my first flight to connect with a UA flight in the US, I have always been able to check-in on line and all boarding passes issued. I have always received my UG in advance at the 100hr window or sometimes at 96 or 48hr window, last time it was at the 48hr window, never been waitlisted for the UG airport.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure they actually verify your documents in the system. Sounds like that hasn't happened and therefore you don't have that "blessed" bit to get to check in online.

sfo1 likes this.
  11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually the first time since merger, I was told that they would need to swipe my passport at airport check-in and from then on the information would be keep on my profile, did not happen last week when I tried to do OLCI, they swiped it again, so we will see what happens in a few weeks when I do OLCI again.

desamo likes this.
  12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, that was my understanding, too!

13. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a US and UK citizen, currently living in the UK. My outbound travel (to the USA) is fine - I check in with my US passport and OLCI works well. My return travel, however, requires physical check in at the airport. Apparently, because the UK won't allow non-EU people in without visas on one way tickets, and UA's systems do not / cannot store visa or dual national information, they go the easy route and simply reject everyone in this particular boat.

At the international terminal in SFO, a couple of agents have told me that a large proportion of 1K and GS customers fall into this category and they are used to dealing with it. However, it's a real PITA in the domestic terminal where you go through the charade of pretending to use the machine merely to satisfy the dragon behind the desk that you are worthy to speak to. Also, of course, it means that I'm at or near the back of the line for GPU clearance at the gate (not to say they are of much use nowadays). More importantly, I'm often ending up in a terrible seat as they will have swapped the configuration of the 777 shortly beforehand (4/6 for swapped configurations, not reflected on the seat map 2 days before flight this year).