United Changes in FF Program Bad!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by stevej2121, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. stevej2121

stevej2121 New Member

Status Points:
    Just got my updated Mileage Plus rules. shocked to see they have removed the number one reason I was loyal, the ability for Premier/Silver to book Economy Plus seating!!!

The new program leaves that to day of flight availability..Help me reach out to United and let them know that is not acceptable to it's best customers!

The customer service email is premiervoice@united.com

kyunbit and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint.

This change was announced months ago and is highly unlikely to change. And my guess is you'll find a few folks who suggest that the Premier Silver level isn't really the company's best customers.

Good luck!

LETTERBOY and kyunbit like this.
  3. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, only further cuts are to come for the 25k tier. Within a decade or so, the 50k tier will likely be the entry level for elite status, at least pertaining to the benefits current status members are accustomed to.

4. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    considering as a 1K i rarely get to select an economy plus seat on my flights as they all occupied, i don't know if status matters much for this anyway :)

ohianjo likes this.
  5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, despite this, it's not like you're going to find it better elsewhere. US Airways doesn't even have an E+ product, American is adding it eventually, but long term their entry level elites won't have free access, and DL makes their Silver/Gold elites pay a discounted prices for their E+ offering. So sure, it's a devaluation from the past, but it doesn't seem like a change that's going to ultimately drive many Silver elites from UA.

mht_flyer likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear that you just found out recently. Unfortunately, most of the other airlines are also reducing the value of being a 25k flyer... and this was seen many years ago when they started giving away the same status for just being a credit card holder.

The devaluation of status is also extended to other higher statuses (Gold & Platinum) as well by UA in other ways so don't think that just the 25k flyer was singled out.... it was pretty much everyone other than the 1K flyer.

iloveawardtravel likes this.
  7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that's part of the reason for this specific change; if Silvers can't select E+ until check-in, then Golds, Platinums, and 1Ks should have more availability prior to check-in.

Edit to add: of course, that's a secondary benefit that the company can promote; really, the primary benefit is probably that now the company can upsell E+ to Silvers from booking time until check-in where before it was giving the product away for free.

8. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Won't Silvers be able to pay for E+ at time of booking, just like non-elites can? I don't think it's the case that they *can't* select it at time of booking; it's just not free anymore.

Mr. Redwoman was offered a buy-in to Silver because he didn't fly 25K miles last year, and we concluded that Silver is pretty much non-elite from now on. The only benefit he would have received would have been the Premier check-in and boarding in group 5 or whatever it is now. He decided notto go for the buy-in. :(

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Technically, Silvers are better customers than over 90% of the people you see on a United plane, so I understand that Steve can be a little disappointed in the devaluation of Mileage Plus

2soonold likes this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's quite possibly true. Some of us remember the days in the 1990s when 15,000 EQMs got you a status that was worth a bit more than today's Silver at 25,000 EQMs.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe this is at all accurate. There were roughly 60 elites on your flight home from LGA today. That's about half the A319. Unless they were basically all silvers the math doesn't work. And I'm guessing the 8 ahead of you on the upgrade list (along with the 8 who got upgraded) are higher. Yes, elites make up more of the total enplanements, but they also get on a plane more often; that's how they make it to be elite. But I'm willing to bet that on any given plane more than 10% is elite.

There's nothing wrong with being a Silver elite and I believe there are still reasonable and tangible benefits for that status, but the argument in this case is that it is better for top elites because there are more E+ seats available closer to departure date. Arguably that's the company doing more for its best customers and doing slightly less for its slightly less best customers.

12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think it varies greatly, I don't have any fresh numbers, but there were around 800K elite members as of 2009, which was only 4-5% of the Mileage Plus membership base. Of course the numbers have changed dramatically lately, but our friend here, is indeed one of the better mileage plus members.

As for doing more for their best customer (or even Silvers), well, I guess we have to agree to disagree on that, because both our Silver friend here and myself feel like the value of the Mileage Plus program has dropped dramatically..

2soonold and SpecialK like this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 90% assertion depends heavily on the route!

daemon14 likes this.
  14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear OP, how many different places are you going to start this same thread? A) this is old news B) you don't need to post the exact same thing in multiple places.

javman08 and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. sjvivian

sjvivian New Member

Status Points:
    While this may be old news guys, they just started enforcing it - so its only "real" to customers now. I really don't get the reaction that this is "old news" - pretty sure most people either didn't see it or didn't pay attention to it and only now, when they are being charged, are they figuring it out. I also find it very hard to believe that 1Ks can rarely get into E+ unless you only book flights w/in 24 hours or you don't go in (or have someone go in) online and select your seats for you. I've been flying between 30-60 legs / year for the last dozen years on UAL, and as long as they've been offering online booking, I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I couldn't get into E+ But now as a lowly Premier Silver, I agree w/ the other Silvers on this thread that by removing this privilege, UAL has materially devalued the status making concentration on an airline pretty worthless for people like me. My wife, who has no status, can spend the same $39 and buy the same seat - so what's the point? Others who have a credit card for $200 / yr can board at the same time...there's almost no reason to concentrate. I suspect that Silvers are the biggest component of the elite program, and they simply assume that the attrition away from UAL will be offset by many simply buying the privilege at $39 / crack. Which is, regrettably, much less than the buy in. I think I was 8K miles short of old Premier Exec last yr, and the "buy-in" for the status priced out at $6,000+ Who the heck would do that? Crazy...

16. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The E+ restriction for Silver was ann:rolleyes:unced months ago. It is old news.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meh. I'm a silver, and I encourage the airline to make extra money off people less cheap than myself. :)

18. sjvivian

sjvivian New Member

Status Points:
    <sigh> My point is it doesn't matter when it was announced... And if you track the boards, there was plenty of activity THEN as well signaling lots of folks thought it sucked. Regardless, this is happening NOW - so to tell people to get over it because its "old news" seems like a strange reaction. Do you remember "New Coke"? When was that announced? I would guess the vast majority of travelers below Premier Exec didn't follow or see the "old news" when it came out and are only now experiencing it first hand. I hope UAL changes it...which to me is the ultimate point...

19. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes -- I kn:rolleyes:w it takes people a long time to figure even well-announced stuff out. That doesn't mean it is not old news. It also doesn't mean I told them to just get over it (I said no such thing). It means they haven't been paying attenti:rolleyes:n as the world has forever changed.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  20. sjvivian

sjvivian New Member

Status Points:
    Understood...speaking as one who didn't pay attention, and sees the glass is half full most times, I'm sort of hoping they get enough feedback to change back! I won't hold my breath...maybe I will wish to be shorter so the E+ wouldn't be as a big a deal.

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has been trimming capacity for well over a year now, and I've definitely noticed fuller planes. It's not uncommon for E+ to be gone within 24-48 hours before departure, at least on busy domestic routes. International it's more hit and miss IME.

22. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find on international TATL that it is very rare for E+ to be full - and when it is, E- is always full. In these circumstances I've often found excited people in E+, delighted they've been "upgraded". (Usually the excitement wears off very quickly when they are told that they have to pay for their drinks and the food is the same, but that's a different matter).

I get the impression that UA fills its TATL seats with lots of discounted tour group deals and the like, so the elite population is relatively smaller. That market domestically probably goes WN.

23. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait until you find out that they're disabling the *voice emails in a month...

24. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:

Planes are full and they are turning a profit. From a business standpoint why change?

LETTERBOY likes this.