United Cancelation 24 hours - Cool!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tommy2tone, Apr 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    Big thumbs up to United. I booked a flight today and was very pleasantly surprised to learn that I could cancel or change the reservation within 24 hours at no charge. This is awesome! Never done that on an economy flight before. Thanks United.

BTW, I got a great deal on my flight too.

ssullivan and Paolo Scuri like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you can really change it without canceling the whole thing and starting over? If so, this would be awesome as it would permit us to keep certain segments at fares that have since sold out.

3. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Details though.. Maybe its a Y or B fare...

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think what the OP is referring to is old news. Nevertheless, it is exciting the first time one learns about it. If what MSPeconomist is referring to is true, it is really big news... too good to be true :)

5. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    a 24 hour no charge policy ! I guess this is one of few good ideas with came along with Jeff Smisek CO policy. Everything else sucks .... also he promised that " we gonna love his NEW United " .... N O T !!!!!

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    C'mon, this is actually not true. :rolleyes:

downhillcrasher, DCA1K and COFlyerCLE like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, one has always had a 24hr 'grace period" to cancel or change a ticket without a fee. A change was considered as a new booking because the cost was assessed independently...

Scottrick likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 24 hour rule has been around for a while, both on PMCO and PMUA, and has expanded recently due to mandate by the federal government. They are legally obligated to provide a fee-free cancellation within 24 hours of booking so long as travel is more than 7 days out. Even other carriers which didn't offer such a benefit in the past (e.g. JetBlue) now offer such.

That all said, the policy covers cancellations, not changes, within the window.

9. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like big government :)

redwoman likes this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fed's rules require that you either be allowed to hold the itinerary with no charge for 24 hours or be allowed to cancel the reservation within 24 hours. It's almost the same thing, but United has chosen to go the latter route and take your money first, then take its time refunding you (usually within a week). The old policy a couple years ago was to allow you to hold the reservation for 24 hours with no payment, so I would argue things have gotten worse, not better.

sfo1, NYCUA1K and HeathrowGuy like this.
  11. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah they changed that at the beginning of the year with the new federal regulations requiring you to have 24 hrs to cancel. It applies to all airlines now..used it a few times myself already. The silly thing is they won't let you change an itinerary without penalty, but they have to let you cancel and rebook it.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't this always the case? I remember trying to change an itinerary within the 24hr window and being told that it would be considered a new booking, which is the same as canceling and rebooking (my guess was that since they used the current fare price and not the one that was in effect during the original booking, it was the same as a new booking)...

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And a couple years before that you could hold a reservation for a week without ticketing it. The rules change over the years. This is one case where the government has stepped in and stopped the slide, so to speak. Not as good as the "old days" but certainly not as bad as it could have been.
    Always is a long time, but in recent memory yes, this has been the case.

Scottrick and mrredskin like this.
  14. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically true. However, in the last week I have booked three trips and then subsequently cancelled them on UA within 24 hours. All three of them were shown as 'pending charges' on my credit card but never actually hit my card because UA never collected the money. It means I'm not waiting for UA to refund the money (up to 10 days later) and then have the refund hit my card. I like this method....

-RM