United Booking, Please Help!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by somempire, May 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to book a roundtrip from US with stopover in Europe and destination in Japan. I have been on the phone with UA agents 7 times and they said it's not allowed b/c I am booking around the world trip. How can this be around the world trip if I am flying back from Japan to Europe than US. Can someone please explain to me if this is legal or illegal? I also had an agent tell me that I cannot do two stopover on the same trip which I know I cannot but she insisted that Europe is a stopover and Japan is a stopover when I clearly explained to her Japan is my destination. Thanks

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the routing you're trying to book?

3. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    ATL-ORD-CDG(stopover)-BKK-NRT(destination)-BKK-CDG-IAD-ATL

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this will be a ticket paid with money, there's no reason it can't be done but it will be very expensive, perhaps more than two separate tickets ATL-CDG RT and ATL-NRT/HND RT.

For award tickets, this could be viewed as one US-EU RT and a second one EU-Asia RT for the sum of the required miles. However, in this case, maybe the RTW award would cost less and that's why they want to call it RTW. I don't think you can normally have a stopover in a continent that is neither origin nor destination. More to the point, you probably don't have legal routings and probably also violate MPM (maximum permitted miles) caps too. There probably is a rule that USA to NRT must be via TPAC, even if they might reroute you through Europe in IROPs to get you to your destination closer to the scheduled time.

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once had to be in OKA and then immediately in NCE for back to back conferences in 2008. The cheapest thing I found, paying with money, was LGA-IAD-NRT-OKA-NRT-IAD-FRA-ZRH-NCE, which was technically RWT since I crossed the Pacific and the Atlantic on the same trip. It cost me under $2K and I painfully did all the long-haul legs in E+.