United bonus miles purchase targetted offer

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nit407, Mar 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nit407

nit407 Active Member

Status Points:
    Received a targeted email from united for buying award miles with the following:

10000 -50000 miles @.28/mile which includes an additional 25% vs normal purchase rate of .37 /mile
    Greater than 50000 -100000 @ .22 /mile

I have never purchased miles and wanted to know if these are good offers or anything better out there?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have specific premium award you want to book and is available planned, then yes, this can be interesting offer, especially 0,22 USD/mile, but you must know that other airlines tend to sell their miles even lower (US Airways from time to time for 0.188 USD/mile, American 0.2 USD/mile). If you want only to save miles for undefined future travel, then no, it is not a good offer.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This can't be too great of an offer, they sent it to me (General Member). :p

boondr likes this.
  4. nit407

nit407 Active Member

Status Points:
    Well...I will be booking our honeymoon tickets for travel in December and looking at the miles needed versus buying a couple of revenue tickets in first class seemed a lot cheaper. We are deciding between Florida or Hawaii. Outbound travel from L.A.

5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, would you spend $2200 on a business ticket to Europe and consider it a steal? That is basically what it works out to. Some people spend way more than that. If you think that is a steal worth jumping on, go ahead. However, most likely and correctly you would say that is not a great deal.

6. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the decimal in the wrong place with these discussions, because wouldn't .22/USD be 22¢/mile which is obscene. Shouldn't it be .022 or in the case of US miles .0188?

guberif likes this.
  7. nit407

nit407 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for correcting me :) good catch!

8. anpe

anpe Active Member

Status Points:
    Update: Nevermind, it's actually 2.5c, not 2c per point.

FYI, if you have Chase Sapphire Preferred, you can buy Ultimate Rewards points for 2.5c2c each (which isn't great value either, but good for topping up account if you are a bit short for award -or- have an award in mind where you can get 3-4c value) and then transfer to United at no cost.

The only limitation is that you can buy only 5000 points max each calendar month (10000 if you have Chase Freedom as well).

9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has something changed? Used to be $25/1000 UR points.

anpe likes this.
  10. anpe

anpe Active Member

Status Points:
    My bad, you're right. Wishful thinking :)

11. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:
    I got that offer as well.
    IMO unless you have a specific place in mind you wanted to go, it is not something one would immediately jump on.
    Or say topping off your current mileage to get to a certain point.
    I purchased a couple thousand several months back so that I can get my parents two international tickets. That, I consider a good deal when such promo is available. :)
    cheers.