United-Blocking on United.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may have heard about StarNet Blocking where United blocks award seats on Star Alliance partners that are otherwise available for booking.

I noticed that United.com seems to be blocking revenue flights on United metal and instead predominantly shows flights on CO and US.

As a concrete example, I was looking for flights from SFO to ATL on April 28th.

When you do a search on United.com for flights, it shows 15 possible routings, only 3 of which are on UA metal. The other 12 are CO or US routings.

Same search on United.com using awards shows 15 possible routings, all on UA metal. Looking at seat maps, the flights look wide open.

Going over to CO.com, you get 25 possible routings, 14 of which are on UA metal (either UA flight numbers or CO codesharing on UA metal).

I know I can probably revert to the old FT trick of doing a multi-city booking, but what a pain. What's worse is that the United's routing gets reflected on my companies travel website so it too only shows 3 possible UA metal routings.

What kind of whacky accounting scheme is being used where United.com thinks it is more profitable to sell seats on CO or US than on UA planes?

estnet likes this.
  2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably because they were marked as codeshares. We all forget that CO.O.L. is the gold standard of airline websites. The technology behind UA's website is so primitive it is probably not capable of recognizing those other routings.

Infinite1K likes this.
  3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what you mean? United's own website gives precedence to code share routing versus routes with their own flights?

4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think part of the problem is the UA website can only show so many solutions to a problem at once. For example, try narrowing down the time of day you want to leave and see if it gives you more of the UA metal options.

5. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's route dependent. Ex-ORD, It tries avoiding UA codeshares and displays predominantly UA metal. In your case, if you really want UA metal, set up your searches to show only UA metal.

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen something similar for flights to EZE. When in 'flexible date' mode most, if not all, of the flights to EZE will be exIAH. However, if you go into 'schedule and price' you can find flights exIAD and the prices are quite similar.

7. Compare UA & CO I found CO is always cheaper then UA at the same destination at there web around $100 different.

8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, narrowing down the scope helped show more UA only routes, but it still shows a bunch of CO/US routes as well.

9. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found this too, and not just on US/CO heavy routes - I can put phx-iad into .bomb and well over half the options are non-UA metal. I hope this is not what we have to look forward to in the "new" UA, or I might high-tail it back to ST or even give OW a shot.

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been driven to distraction by this. Can't understand why UA would rather sell codeshares than their own metal:( It's so bad that I'm booking a lot more on AA.