United Becomes Classy Again on Longhaul

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HeathrowGuy, Feb 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    About damn time...

COFlyerCLE and AZjohn like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about this, it could lead to something unusual...like more business!:p

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    New food and drink options, new IFE options, new amenity kits, rebranding to United Global First and BusinessFirst.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Great news. Even if I'm not a big fan of Continental, they do have the better business class seat set up on the triple and the catering is actually pretty impressive compared to both AA and UA

But the United triples will still have 2+4+2 in business which is pretty far from classy.

Here's the new benchmark for north American carriers: http://nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-...american-airlines-777300er-interior-3-620.jpg

chrislacey and TheBeerHunter like this.
  7. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, nice to see UA update things. Better food is always good and hopefully better bedding includes a mattress topper for F.

AA's future business class a new benchmark? Really? This has been available on US for a while now (and before you mention US limited destinations/aircraft, AA isn't looking that pretty with ten new 773ers by end of 2013). Similarly, AC's business is quite comparable and has been there for a while as well. I have nothing against AA koolaid - it has its nice flavors - but not everything is better there.

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is United serving Dom Perignon again.....???

Cant see the wine list details...... is this on the United website...??

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    1-2-1 on a 777 versus 2-2-2 or 2-4-2 is a lot better. The size of the new suites are a lot bigger than US seats and will eventually be on the routes that UA competes against AA in. Like you said, US doesn't fly anywhere anyways compared to AA and UA.

As for the coolaid, I would just defer to my own comment above: AA soft product is just as bad as the current UA soft product, including in F. Continental's is better than both, but the wines are cheap, the liquor is cheap and there's nothing exclusive at all, it's just better than their north American competitors. If they want to be competitive, they need to step it up way past what CO has been offering in BF. To be best in North America doesn't cut it compared to most international carriers.

Scottrick likes this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they still offer special meals.

11. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree completely that the 1-2-1 will be far better than UA's setup. But even when AA puts these on routes that serve destinations that UA also serves, it still doesn't stack up because AA just doesn't fly anywhere internationally. Three or four (PEK, PVG, NRT...am I missing one?) destinations in Asia, none to the S. Pacific, none to the Middle East, and only 11 year round destinations in Europe (less than US Airways, BTW, and waaay less than UA/CO), it just doesn't stack up. I know AA sees themselves as UA's chief competitor, but they just aren't (and that's coming from someone who doesn't fly UA, so I'm not particularly biased towards them one way or another).

What are the differences in seat specs between AA's new seat vs. US's current Envoy seat? Comparing pictures, they look very very similar, so I'm just curious what the actual differences are.

12. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    I quite like United's longhaul business class. I think it's the longhaul cattle class that really needs some work.

JLSocks and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  13. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The barcaloungers? The lie-flat is nice, the old recliners...not so much.

14. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's better than sitting in Y...

15. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Y is comparable to other Y, IMO.

16. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully this is not the CO product as it seems much of the 'BF' is..."entertainment including noise-reduction headsets." because one of my only real complaints about CO BF was those headphones were utter garbage.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  17. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny, the first thing I thought of was that they were bringing back Connoisseur Class. The biggest problem is remembering how to spell it! :)

NoFlyY likes this.
  18. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    looks good on paper. How much of that will actually be enticing?

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    When North America is your market it usually does.

genemk2 and DCA1K like this.
  20. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sure, if you don't look at airlines like CX, BA and LH as competition. They sure transport quite a few passengers across the ponds

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BA products are no better. And with LH the Biz product certainly isn't either. Plus there is the ATI so it doesn't matter nearly as much.

22. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    The improved soft product is good.

The "new" names... not-so-good.

ohianjo likes this.
  23. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone see that this is a messy rebranding? BusinessFirst and Global First, not to mention keeping United First and Business... It certainly will confuse less frequent flyers, as well 'muddy the waters' when it comes to market separation (instead of having a clearly labelled First and Business). I have asked a few non frequent flyers, and they were confused. What do you guys think?

24. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the naming of the int'l cabins is STOOOOPID. First class should be first class. Airlines that have an excellent first class don't need to stroke themselves with an additional word to make you feel better. It is First, and that is it. The business cabin could be called something else, or still business, but this just doesn't make sense.

25. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am very pleased to see this as United needs to refresh their soft product in First to match the excellent hard product. I fear that the weakest link will be the very senior flight attendants, most of whom, in my experience, want to finish the service as quickly as possible to return to their paperback novels in the galley. Still, perhaps new offerings and a more lavish product will re-energize the crew and bring back some of the excitement that they used to bring to International First.