United Bag Fee Calculator -- Inconsistent Results

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Feb 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    bags.png

So which one is it, two free bags or three?

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This example says "Premier Silver" in Biz Class. The rules say two in Biz - One in E.

I'm 1K, and every reservation I make shows that I am allowed two bags up to 70 pounds, but the reality is that I get three. That has been the case since I was gold. It seems to be an area of accuracy that UA has ignored for a very long time.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageChecked.aspx

says:

Certain customers are exempt from paying checked baggage service charges for up to three pieces of baggage (bags must meet weight and size restrictions). Learn more about exemptions from checked baggage service charges.

Customers with a confirmed seat assignment in United BusinessFirst®, United First®, United Global FirstSM or United Business® will be allowed to check up to three bags, with a maximum weight of 70 pounds.

Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. The benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member.

(bolding added)​

So it seems that you (and my wife in the example above) are both allowed three bags. If that page is correct. Her reservation, however, only shows two free bags.

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I didn't realize that a BF ticket permitted 3 bags without regard to the status of the buyer. I'm sure that I have seen other promotions of BC upgrades touting "Two Free Checked Bags" as one of the benefits.

In another thread here, I posted that twice I recently had to prove my *Gold status by showing my UA 1K card in order to be allowed 3 checked bags at no extra charge on Taca. It also seems that *Gold status should be the same on all *A carriers.

Does your wife have Premier status? If not, it might be a good idea to print the page you quoted here in order to insure that some misguided agent doesn't try to charge you for something that the page says is correct.

On another note, I succeeded in getting my daughter's dog into the cabin on a recent flight. I had paid for both my daughter's ticket and the extra fee for the small dog. The agent, her supervisor and the general manager all said the dog was too tall to ride in the cabin, even though her weight was well within the limit. They were trying to make us pay even more and make the dog ride in the cargo hold.

We had called to make the reservation, confirmed the rules for carrying a dog in the passenger cabin with the agent who made her reservation and then checked the rules online. There was no mention of the dog's height in the conversations or the web site. The TA, her supervisor and the GM were all standing there when I suggested that they look at the web site and see what it says. The dog went onboard with my daughter. :)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Given the contradictory information, I am not convinced that it's correct.

Yes, she's Premier Silver, but that wouldn't get her three bags according to the page:

"MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches."

But she's traveling on an award ticket out of my (1K) account, and haven't there been reports that baggage benefits get inherited by lower-status travelers, perhaps due to a bug? Probably not something I'd want to count on, though.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premier Golds, Plats and 1Ks are allowed up to 3 checked bags. The info provided in My Reservations is wrong because it always shows two bags to be allowed for these elites. The same 3-bag allowance is also true if one is traveling in one of the premium cabins, but it would still indicate as though up to two bags are allowed in My Reservations...

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well then, this might explain it:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...for-tickets-purchased-after-february-14-2013/

Complimentary Checked Baggage Allowance Change in Premium Cabin
    United is modifying its premium cabin complimentary checked baggage allowance for tickets purchased on or after February 14, 2013 for travel beginning February 14, 2013 and beyond.
    • United Global First and United First baggage allowance changes from three bags to two bags for domestic travel.
    • United BusinessFirst and United Business baggage allowance changes from three bags to two bags for domestic and international travel.
    Other United baggage service charges including MileagePlus® Premier entitlements and weight allowances are not impacted. Premier Gold level and above will continue to receive three complimentary bags in these cabins.
    This change better aligns United’s checked baggage allowance tiers with those of partner carriers and competitors, and helps balance the cost of this valuable service with the complex infrastructure required to support it.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does not explain your original query because this change does not affect MileagePlus® Premier entitlements and weight allowances...(I am assuming you are 1K).

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am 1K, but my wife isn't (Premier Silver) and she's flying in Business Class. The screenshot in the first post shows those parameters.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is consistent for your better half's case but still has not changed for me as 1K. For both of my booked intl and domestic flights it shows (click on image to enlarge):

BAGGAGE-FEE-1K.png

Note that the Table includes only charges and dimensions for the first two bags but then just below the Table it mentions the third bag...:confused: