United awards booking snafu!!!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by petrapenang, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. petrapenang

petrapenang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently I checked out one way awards flight from PEN-EWR/JFK and found the following:
    TG426 PEN-BKK in C
    TG922 BKK-FRA in F
    LH400 FRA-JFK in C

..then also found the following:
    TG426 PEN-BKK in C
    TG920 BKK-FRA in C
    LH402 FRA-EWR in F

So, I called UA and tell them I want to book the following:
    TG426 PEN-BKK in C
    TG922 BKK-FRA in F
    LH402 FRA-EWR in F

...but I was told that the system couldn't price this itinerary. Can someone explain why?

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try booking it online?

I'm not sure of the timings on those flights but does TG922 line up with LH402?

The only thing I can think of is that the LH F availability isn't really there.

chrislacey likes this.
  3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there some reason why the extra three hours between LH 400 and LH 402 changes it from a layover into a stopover? It's < 24 hours, but not all international is a 24-hour rule.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barring connection time conflicts what you wish to do should be kosher. A CSR might be able to book it for you over the phone... Try another one.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, that's a good point.

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm not award expert, but could this be a case of "phantom" LH award availability? The one notable difference between the shown available options is on the LH flight. That doesn't explain the difference with TG, but I recall LH "phantom" availability. Here's a thread on MP: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...availability-of-reward-seats-to-europe.37898/ (granted, a totally different routing) that seems to match. I wonder if the same routing and partners were involved, but with the LH segment in C, if this would price. At the same time, a "long sell" (posted in the other thread) may be another answer?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. petrapenang

Status Points:
    I spoke with a CSR who confirmed the LH F availability except that he couldn't put the legs together stating that the system won't allow. Timing wise, the routing follows all of UA rules and the 3 hours apart doesn't violate the 24 hours. Funniest thing was the CSR even told me that the system is reporting the itinerary as "round the world" and that I had to speak with the "round the world" desk!!! I gave up and called another CSR later.... unfortunately, by then the LH F was actually gone.... :(

8. petrapenang

Status Points:
    I looked up the LH F specifically online but didn't try booking this specific itinerary online. I've always failed to book customized itinerary with UA and end up having to call CSR so thought I'd just go that route...

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    with a thread Title of "United awards booking snafu!!!" I thought either SQ F was available again or it was only 4 miles to redeem from HKG.

10. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah same here. I was thinking along those same lines.

11. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    For UA anything under 24 hours on an international ticket is a layover.

Not sure where you're [bolding mine] getting the information to state the above.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    One carrier has 22 hours, iirc. My recollection was that it was ANA and that it was WA who said so. My memory isn't as perfect as it used to be, though.

I was just wondering if the three-hour difference was the underlying reason it wouldn't price. That's all.

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah Shares is just redundant and it takes a competent agent/supervisor to realize that Shares is not pricing it correctly which involves calling the rates desk to have it manually stored. All it requires is common sense in this instance.

As for layovers, UA considers anything 23:59 or less to be a layover and I do believe NH considers it at 22 hour but I'm not sure so WA will have to chime in on that.

kwai likes this.
  14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, the old, "would you please store the segments and call the rates desk."

kwai and Flyer1976 like this.