United award ticket cancelation

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mrlasssen, Apr 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do I go about canceling an award ticket, what is the phone number, and is there a fee. I don't want to redeposit but can not make it on the schedled day.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you change it to a date more than 21 days out there is no fee however if its inside the 21 day window then the $75 fee will be charged.

You can change/cancel any reward ticket with United Domestic or International Reservations.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if the same city pair is kept.

Most changes will potentially involve a fee, with the amount charged dependent on the elite status of the account from which the miles were redeemed.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP mentioned changing to a different day. :-:

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I read it as slightly less firm on the new award desired than you did. And I don't think being too clear in such an ambiguous situation is a bad thing.

6. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you your advice. The same city pair will be keeped, how many days from the date of the booking is the ticket still valid for, and what is the final date I can travel on the ticket?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. dugwaygi

dugwaygi New Member

Status Points:

8. dugwaygi

dugwaygi New Member

Status Points:
    would I have to pay a change fee to change from a one stop flight to a non stop assuming the same cities and same date?
    thanks dg

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can travel for one year from the initial date of issue.
    If you make the change more than 21 days from the day of travel then no. Also, if it is all UA metal you can ask to have the non-stop segment wait-listed so you don't have to monitor it and call in when it becomes available.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  10. theworldofmarye

theworldofmarye Silver Member

Status Points:
    United Airlines states that I owe them miles! Help!
    Question: I used award miles in United to book travel for two tickets which stated ticketed and confirmed. Both award tickets have eticket numbers as well as confirmation numbers. I paid money for mileage difference, with a deficit of about 3,000 miles. Now, United is stating that I owe them mileage that they lent me for one of my tickets, as in 69,000 miles.However, my experience is that there is no way to purchase an award ticket with a deficit of 69,000 miles without BUYING miles and waiting for them to post. In my case, it was the SHORT on MILES option used. What is my recourse? I do have screen shots.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any record of your account balances before the transactions and after? Do you have the email receipts from United showing the account that the points were withdrawn from?

12. theworldofmarye

Status Points:
    I do. I had hit on a glitch fare... and I think they caught up with it. 15,000 miles from ICN to FRA. I'll be sending the screen shots to them.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Recently they've added the mileage purchase as a part of the transaction. I was really tired the other night and thought I was holding an award itin to SCL, but turns out I was buying it, and one of the things I was buying was 3,000 miles (I knew that many would post within the hold period, thus my preference for a hold).

miles-purchase-during-booking.jpg

The two flights there hadn't posted as of the time of the booking but obviously have since.

14. theworldofmarye

Status Points:
    Hi thanks, it turns out that is what happened to me, too and they canceled the first award flight for the 2nd one I arranged. it took me 1.5 hours on the phone with a very nice United agent. We sorted it out. I wanted the 1st class OW flight from ICN- FRA-LHR, on Asiana - lie flat seats more than the economy on UA from LAX-LIH, return on UA. So, I ended up with more miles that I wanted to purchase, and then simply bought the UA ticket RT from LAX-LIH since it's my bday weekend with a friend.

All I can say is, I can't wait to get back to the US and play with VC and little birds to generate some more miles.