United award rules

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by r0m8470, Dec 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    just trying to get clarity from other board members who may know about United award rules.

I spotted an award space from a partner airline - SEA-YVR on d-1, with d being the travel day. This flight arrives in YVR around 6pm. The next day, there is award availability on YVR-CDG leg, via YYZ. Can I combine these segments into 1 award ticket? I tried to do it with United multi-destination tool, but the site won't let me do that. All segment are with Air Canada.

Is such itinerary not allowed per the program rules? Or do I need to call to book? I guess I could book 2 itineraries but that's just be me wasting miles. Or just bite the bullet and ride either the BoltBus or Amtrak to get the Vancouver and book the YVR-CDG award.

It'd be nice though if I can book SEA to CDG, and spend 1 night in Vancouver area before the long flight.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as you are in YVR for <24 hours it is fine. You may need to call in as not all awards (especially multi-city) can be booked online.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if the stop in YVR is more than 24h (meaning a stopover), SEA-YVR, YVR-CDG (via YYZ) should still be bookable as a single SEA-CDG itinerary provided that the YYZ connection is <24 h. You will need to call for this to be done properly, and it would help for you to have the flight info for the individual segments to just provide to the agent.

I will be doing an equivalent itinerary, MNL-CKG, CKG-HKT via HKG (just a connection), which ticketed correctly as MNL-HKT even though I will be in CKG for 3 days (a stopover) because one stopover is allowed. CKG is like YVR in your case.

Caveat: It is assumed that you will be doing a round trip.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may find some problems with this. Itins constructed from available segments, even if they meet routing/layover restrictions, may still not ticket because - according to recent convos with 1K agents - married segment award availability must be available from O --> D in order to book in this way. So if your desired itin is O--> YVR (layover <24) ---> D, if O-->D is not showing as available in Saver on the same departure date (with AC or no, doesn't matter), then the agent could deny ticketing. I encountered this exact situation recently:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...eral-for-new-married-seg-award-policy.105985/

This is a best in class JeffRobbo style measure and I hope you can get past it .... but don't be surprised if not.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is a HUGE caveat and is probably worth leading with rather than tucking in at the end.

R/T rules are rather different from O/W rules. Best to not conflate them, especially when the person asking the question is already confused about the rules for the trip they are planning.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad I even provided the caveat and sorry that it was not to your liking or how you would have presented it!

Being knowledgeable about when stopovers are allowed under both UA and *A rules, I assumed that everyone would also be aware that RT was required for what I had stated to be valid until it occurred to me that some folks just might not be aware of it. Therefore, to avoid being admonished in the future for not quoting publicly available rules, here we go...

UA:
    • A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada. For travel booked on or after February 1, 2014, a stopover is permitted only on certain roundtrip itineraries. Additional mileage may be required.
    *A
    • A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada. For travel booked on or after February 1, 2014, a stopover is permitted only on certain roundtrip itineraries. Additional mileage may be required.

7. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all the responses.

Am I correct to assume that a stopover - with UA or *A - is defined as (very loosely):
    - connection time of exceeding 4 hours on a domestic itinerary or
    - connection time of exceeding 24 hours on international itinerary, which segment like SEA-YVR should qualify for the definition.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's the commonly accepted definition of a stopover in the airline industry. For UA-issued tickets (flown on UA or partners) the 4-hour rule applies to Canada as well, even though it is not a domestic itinerary. But since you are continuing on to Europe you get the "real" international rule for the whole itinerary.

Do also note that there is a limit to the total number of segments you can fly in one direction, but you're not hitting that with these itineraries.

9. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all.

I was able to book the flight by calling and got the service fee waived. And by booking the award originating in the US, even though all segments are AC, we only pay less than $12 for 2 award tickets.