United Award booking and 24 hour change rule

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rulamj, Sep 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rulamj

rulamj Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a quick question:

I am booking an award flight from IAH-ORD for a friend using my points.
    Savers award is not available on the outbound date 10/16 for example, but there is some on 10/15 the day before.

Can I use a 24 hour change to change the flight to 10/16 when the date gets closer ? I know changes for platinum is free on awards.
    But does there still need to be award savers for me to change the date ...
    Ie will have access to any flight with seats open or only if award seats are available ?

thanks

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    SDC is (generally) into the same bucket, so if you booked a saver award (X), the flight you want to SDC to must also have X availability.

traveltoomuch and rulamj like this.
  3. rulamj

rulamj Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Mackieman

That is what I though :(.
    thanks

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's the rule: "The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. The requested flight must be departing within 24 hours from the time the request is made..." So it's not "when the date gets closer", it's "on 10/15, at or after the time of the desired flight's departure on 10/16". And you will need award availability.

However, your friend could stand by for the desired flight even if there are no award seats ("You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class."). I might be more willing to risk this if I were confirming the award seat on the day after the one desired rather than the day before, and I was willing to fly the ticket as issued if everything else failed. As it is... I would look at other options.

Frontier has a decent IAH-MDW fare, though that will require a connection. And everyone's favorite airline - Spirit - has $96 fares non-stop. How good of a friend is this? Maybe you'd rather spend $96+fees...

Edited to add: since you're platinum and don't have last-minute ticketing fee nor redeposit fees, it probably makes more sense to just wait for the itinerary you want. Award availability changes all the time, and patience is often rewarded. If your friend is willing to fly on a different day as a fallback, then I might ticket on 10/15 or 10/17 or whatever, too, knowing you can redeposit the ticket.

8MiHi likes this.