United and US Airlines on Same Reservation

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by vickers, Feb 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello. I have never done this before, but due to timing, I had to book a return flight with both US Air and United.

Here are my flight details:

FLIGHT # 486 [​IMG]Operated by US Airways
    DEPART 4:15 PM SAN
    ARRIVE 6:32 PM PHX

FLIGHT # 486 [​IMG]Operated by US Airways (no plane change)
    DEPART 7:40 PM PHX
    ARRIVE 12:02 AM ORD

FLIGHT # 3516 [​IMG]Operated by Shuttle America dba United Express
    DEPART 10:10 AM ORD
    ARRIVE 12:38 PM PIT

When I looked on USAir.com, my United flyer number was listed, but not my US Air. Even though when I booked, Orbitz for Business transmitted both US Air and United number over, and I have 2 seperate confirmation numbers. So I called US Air to have it updated, but the representative advised that I could only get credit for one of the flights. Either the ORD to PIT leg on United, or the SAN-PHX-ORD leg on US Air. I opted for the US Air as Ill get more miles, but that sounded strange to me. She did add my US Air number on the reservation. I checked on United, and it still has my flight detials with the ORD to PIT leg crediting to my United account. Is this correct, or will I get credit for both legs and both frequent flyer accounts.

Second question... Im spending the night in Chicago, arriving from US Air and departing the next day on United. Will my checked bag come up? The represtentive advised it probably will not and it will most likely transfer to United. Anyone have this situation before? I just need to know what to pack in my carry on vs. check and I really dont want to be waiting at baggage claim at midnight for a bag that wont be coming.

Thanks everyone.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bag will likely be checked to ORD but worth asking when you actually check in for it to be tagged where you want to collect it.

As for the FF numbers you can collect for both but it is a bit complicated. The overnight probably works in your favor. Put the US(or OW partner) in to start. Put the UA number in via the UA site or when you check in with UA in the morning. And save your BPs so you can file a retro-claim when it doesn't work. ;)

3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great advice. Thanks!

4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an update. When I arrived at San Diego to check my bag, the agent thought it would come up in Chicago as it was over 6 hours. However, it printed as Pittsburgh, which is where it did actually go. She was a bit surprised by this also. Anyway, she also gave me my USAir and United boarding passes (printed on USAir paper). Each had their own FF program number, which was great. However, I noted my United boarding pass printed on USAir paper was missing my TSA PreCheck. I was close to the united self service terminals anyway, so I tried a quick reprint. It worked and TSA PreCheck was on there. Also, all points credited! Thanks again @Wandering Aramean .

Wandering Aramean likes this.