United and TSA-PRE

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by egar2019, Aug 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. egar2019

egar2019 Active Member

Status Points:
    I updated my United profile (exec plat) to opt-in for TSA-Pre many months ago but it seems I never have this when I actually fly. I am plat with AA and it was almost automatic after updating my AA profile. I emailed United but they say the issue is with the TSA.

Any advice?

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried opting out and then opting back in again? That worked for me. Or get Global Entry.

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And make sure your name in your Mileage Plus profile exactly matches what is in your known traveler profile.

desamo and genemk2 like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also make sure you have the correct number entered on your United profile.

5. cshel

cshel Active Member

Status Points:
    I had an issue with my Delta profile where there was an extra space in my name that was not part of my trusted traveler information coming from TSA

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else find it annoying that the TSA Pre-Check icon doesn't display within a passbook mobile boarding pass?

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Yes. I filed an enhancement request with The Firm.

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm departing EWR today after an IRROPS layover. Where should I depart the hotel bus to fly through Pre-check? My departure is from Terminal C.

Thanks! :)

8. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    C-3 checkpoint.

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much. I actually got there before reading this, and it was so painfully obvious by all the signs that I felt bad about having asked. Guess I'm a little TOO accustomed to Latin America, where everything is a mystery - even WITH the ever-so-rare signs. :D

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Really? I swear I've seen it. I don't have any BPs in my Passbook right now. Have to check that next week.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

I don't know if you're running a seed build. I'm not. In the release build, I can assure you it's not there.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm sure I'm not. May have thought it moved over from the app. Viewable in UA app.

13. ThereseKhu

ThereseKhu Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never done this before. How does Pre-check work actually?

Assuming the airport has both TSA pre-check and Premier Access security lanes:
    I first get in the Premier Access security lane (UA silver), and then I go to the TSA precheck area? if I get one beep, i have to go to the regular screening area?
    If i get 3 beeps, i go straight to the TSA precheck screening area?

Or does the TSA pre-check area have it's own line and I just skip the Premier Access Security lane?

14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pre-Check has its own lane. If you don't find out where it is beforehand, just ask someone at the premier lane if there is one and where to find it. You could choose to go through the regular lanes and they will give you an option of doing the standard or going to the pre-check lane.

Flyer1976 and ThereseKhu like this.
  15. ThereseKhu

ThereseKhu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. So if I choose to go to the regular lane, they give me the option of going to the pre-check lane, i do that but I get the one beep, i just go back to the standard screening area?

How about going to the TSA pre check lane first (a short line), turns out I get one-beeped, do i just skip everyone in the regular and premier access lanes? This is the better option, right?

16. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the small chance you get one beep, you'll just go straight to the regular lanes, no back of the line, but standard nude-o-scope (or opt out which is my personal preference.)

Always the better option to go pre-check. These days, you'll need a boarding pass with the pre-check symbol on it (unless you're on an airline like Virgin America which does not yet have the symbol for their passes.)

ThereseKhu likes this.
  17. ThereseKhu

ThereseKhu Silver Member

Status Points:
    kudos to you, thanks.

flyforawg likes this.
  18. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't find this to be the case at all. Most airports have a scanner as you enter the Pre Check line that will give one or three beeps. Three beeps and you're allowed to proceed to the ID checker at the Pre Check line and then into the security area for Pre Check. No one has ever once looked at my BP for a PreCheck symbol to determine my eligibility to use the line. And I travel a ton and this is at all airports that have PreCheck or not (SEA, IAH, DCA come to mind as my most frequent with PreCheck).

-Rob

19. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may be helpful if we list the airports. SFO, STL, PDX, JFK are all airports I have frequented recently while flying either AA or VX and none of them had a pre scanner to allow you entry to the line when I went. SFO has someone checking for pre on your boarding pass now to allow access to the lane, but Virgin America doesn't yet have it so they just ask if you have it (like all airlines not too long ago). PDX had nobody when I went through multiple times. Got lots of nasty comments from people in the regular line about how I skipped and then grudging recognition when I got 3 beeps and proceeded to the WTMD. (Relax people!) STL just diverts you to the 3 or 1 beep lane with no special checking before hand. When I was at MCO, flying AA there was no special pre scanning lane either, but that was a one off for me months ago, so who knows since then. ORD is the only airport I've been to that had what you describe.

[edit] Just started flying United, so can add my one experience. T3 at SFO had no special pre screen to see if you an enter the lane either. So from my experience, most airports don't have it, so it would probably pay to do some research on the airports beforehand. I suppose if you failed the pre-screen you can just go to the shorter of the premier or standard lanes.

20. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The PreCheck symbol on the BP is for the passenger's benefit. It tells us if we have it before we enter the appropriate lane. The agents, however, don't rely on that logo, and rightfully so. The only thing that actually clears us into PreCheck is the three beeps. Otherwise, someone would likely be able to create a stamp or printer that could put the PreCheck logo on an unapproved passenger's ticket, and that might be the start of a bad history-making day.

I love PreCheck, but trusting the government to clear pax for it does make me a little bit nervous. Anything they want to do to make sure that I'm actually who I say I am is fine with me. It's not foolproof, but it reduces (not eliminates) my fear of their making a mistake.

flyforawg likes this.
  21. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have had that, but they aren't as consistent about it as they used to be. Did have to show the Pre-check symbol last time.

Here's the domestic airports I've been through since getting PreCheck:

ANC-BOS-CLE-EWR-GUM-HNL-IAH-JFK-LAS-LAX-MMH-ORD-PDX-PHX-SAT-SEA-SFO-SJC-SJU-STT -- I think MMH is the only one on that list that won't have pre by the end of the year.

And the int'l:

AKL-BKK-BRU-CMB-CPH-CPT-FRA-GUA-ICN-IST-JNB-KSA-KUL-KWA-LHR-LIR-MAJ-MEL-MGA-MLE-NRT-PNI-RGN-SAL-SGN-SIN-SJO-TKK-WLG

flyforawg likes this.
  22. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sfo had it, but they may not be there all the time last weekend there was someone there in the morning

flyforawg likes this.
  23. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Extra data point, my flight was a red eye, so went through after 9PM. They must take the special checker out by then.

24. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    T3 SFO definitely does have the Pre-Check pre scanner. I've used it many times and there's always someone standing there checking it to make sure you get the three beeps before proceeding through the line. I only usually fly out of SFO in the evening. Maybe the morning is different?

Yes, I know. My point was the "line checker" has never looked at that logo. You get the beeps or you don't and that's all that allows you into the security screening area (belt/xray) for Pre-Check. But the logo on the BP has never been used to determine eligibility to even enter the Pre-Check ID check lane was my point.

-Rob

flyforawg and KenInEscazu like this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I apologize if I seemed to be correcting you. My intent was to clarify the process for those who might be less familiar with it. Plus I wanted to vent a little about my lack of confidence in TSA processes overall. :D

TravelerRob and flyforawg like this.