United and Gas

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whenever I eat a meal on UA, usually in Business class, it is followed by a slight upset stomach and how to put this in a nice manner "gas". This generally happens on overnight flights across the Atlantic or the Pacific. This seems to happen only with the food on the flight, other than that, this uncomfortable situation does not happen to me at meal time anywhere else. Does anyone one else notice this after a UA meal? Fortunately I now carry Tums or Alka Seltzer with me.

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe start bringing your own food?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    and I'd suggest avoiding all forms of carbonated beverages as well if you can't cropdust...

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh how I enjoy public forms :D
    Yes, you are not alone thus you will never see a post of mine saying how great the pre-fab reheated food on an airplane taste (regardless of being up front or not).

5. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's unclear to me whether you're singling out UA compared to long flights on other carriers. Pressurized cabins contribute to this, ah, phenomenon.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I am in economy I always do, and I may start doing it regardless of what class I am in.

Only drink water

Have not had a problem with this on AC or LH

snod08 likes this.
  7. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - I've also flown on both and haven't noticed a difference either way.

8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are they generally serving?

9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always bring my own food and get on board only water and occasionally a tomato juice or a coffee.

10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG.... I have to remember to try this on my next flight quoted in your link :D

Ask a flight attendant if there is an empty corner of the plane to sit in. Explain you are having a problem with gas. They will get it, and hopefully, move you.

kwidhalm and Fredd like this.
  11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually I have the pasta, or the braised short ribs, salad with a small amount of vinegarette, usually eat the vegies, not too keen on the potatoe wedges, they are either partially raw or overdone and dessert usually the ice cream.
    Guess I will have to start taking my own food into bus cl. or else just not eat, and I could afford to loose a few pounds, not that I am that much over weight to start with, but slim and trim is the name of the game.

12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    From this list, I would definately skip the ice cream and pasta if it contains any dairy, which more likely it does and see if this would help. Braised short ribs should be fine as long as they do not have any added sugar in the sauce. Substitute vinaigrette dressing for some lemon juice.

Keep in mind, the best option is just bring your own food on board.

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lactose intolerance, perhaps? I usually take a Lactase tablet or two before the meal to avoid the 'gassy' problem. I definitely avoid the chocolate cookie, ice cream and any beans.

As for pressurized cabin, the only thing I can think is that UA tends to serve meals faster than AC, so perhaps the GI has not acclimatized to the altitude climb and pressure adjustments may not be perfect so once you add a bit of food to the mix - WHOOSH or is it <pffffft>! :p

14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I saw this thread's title I just assumed that it had to do with them raising fares in correlation to the price of avgas. Now I see that I "ass-umed" wrong. :)

and yes, for the purists, I do know that avgas is primarily a term for piston airplane fuel.

kwidhalm, cordray2643, AZjohn and 3 others like this.
  15. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well from all the replies I have gotten it seems that no one else has this same problem, interesting. This problem does not occur anywhere else where I have eaten, so I guess the answer is start taking my own food into Bus cl or put up with, or should I say others will have to put up with it along with me:D

kwidhalm and AZjohn like this.
  16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed a huge difference when I kicked the booze and bubbles. I try to go water only 12 hours before the flight, and just water on the flight. Noticed a big difference in "comfort".

genemk2 and TAHKUCT like this.
  17. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had this issue. However, I've noticed (smelled) it from other passengers seated next to me.

When you pass gas do you say excuse me or do you hope your seat mate doesn't notice? If you try to hold it in will it reverse itself and come out of your mouth as a belch?

This is one reason why I prefer the controllable air nozzles above. When I smell a foul odor coming from my seat mates direction I turn all 3 air vents to the max and point them toward the foul odor.

If you are the one farting always turn your air vent to the max and point it towards your thighs or waist before you let it blow.